light in pyysical weight trolling reel

Started by Nuvole, July 20, 2011, 06:20:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nuvole

I love my Penn 16vsx but its weight a touch too heavy(physically) for a small built like myself. My Penn 113's drag is too low for my trolling purpose.

I'm working on a vessel that cruise at 4-10 knots depending on type of work. I usually use 80lb braided and is happy with it.

What would you recommend for physically lightest in weight + dual speed + 600-700 yard of braided + 25lb(minimum) drag. 

alantani

for that much braid, i do not think you will find a smaller reel......  :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

akfish

An Avet HX Raptor would fit the bill...
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

SoCalAngler

Nuvole

The Avet HX Raptor sounds like what I want. Thanks ^^

akfish

You'll absolutely fry a TLD 20 -- or just about any graphite framed reel -- with 25# drag.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Roger

Quote from: akfish on July 21, 2011, 06:07:36 PM
You'll absolutely fry a TLD 20 -- or just about any graphite framed reel -- with 25# drag.

Yep......
Roger

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."   Mark Twain

Nuvole

Quote from: akfish on July 21, 2011, 06:07:36 PM

Thanks for the info mate. As I'm fishing during work, it does not justify stopping the vessel for my catch(or seaweed) hence I'm most of the time using high drag especially to clear huge lump of seaweed stuck on my lure.

SoCalAngler

Yikes you guys are right, I missed the 25lbs he was looking for.

Nuvole

Just got my HX Raptor in the parcel yesterday.

===============

akfish,

Thanks for the recommendation. It looks like a great reel out of the box.
I am surprise that they use allen screw for all the external area, its one of my favorite :-)
Another surprise was the "silent retrieving", I always find loud dog a bit annoying.

==============

Now come another question.
The external of this reel seems quite well grease, but the drag sounds dry(I've read the other post that Avet recommend them as so). Now should I or should I not dismantle it to check/grease the internal parts...

broadway

Just out of curiosity, do they stop the boat with a fish on?  If not how big are the fish you're targeting? Though I don't own an Avet... I do open every reel I buy now (conventionals) to make sure the grease is where I need it to be and the bearings are lubricated.  I'm not sure about greasing the drags.
Dom

Nessie Hunter

Carbontex sound dry when they are greased.....
Hard to tell by the sound.

Like Broadway, I always open new or used reels and get them up to my specs.

You will feel much better if you do... Trust me on that...
Alan Tani Pre-use service cant beat!!!!!
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

Nuvole

Quote from: broadway on November 09, 2011, 05:44:13 PM
       Just out of curiosity, do they stop the boat with a fish on?  If not how big are the fish you're targeting? Though I don't own an Avet... I do open every reel I buy now (conventionals) to make sure the grease is where I need it to be and the bearings are lubricated.  I'm not sure about greasing the drags.
Dom

Most of the time, we have sidescan tow fish in the water hence can't justify slowing down the ship for a fish.
The usual speed is around 4 knots and I normally get tunas & dorado. The last time I hit an unknown fish at 9 knots, I fought almost an hours before my mainline break.

I'm going to have a busy afternoon stripping my new reel ;-)

alantani

how about the penn 12 vsx?  i have one of those loaded with 500 yards of 100# spectra.  it will deliver 25#'s of drag without breaking a sweat. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!