Chesapeake Stripers

Started by biggiesmalls, April 26, 2018, 06:33:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

biggiesmalls

Just got back from a striper trip on the Chesapeake Bay, went back home to Maryland for a few days.

We left the dock around 5:30 this morning, wet lines at around 5:45. We trolled 26 lines today, mostly plastic swimbaits.

It took around 5 hours, but we got a double header. There were six of us, I drew the ace of spades and my uncle's friend drew the two, so we grabbed the rods. His fish just bit the tail of the swimbaits, so it took that off and never hooked up.
Mine stuck, fought her to the boat about 5 minutes. Once that leader came out of the water she beelined it to the bottom and fought me in a stalemate for the next few minutes and after a total of 8 or 9 minutes I got her to the surface and we netted her. Tough girl, she fought all the way up.

That was our only action the whole day. Almost two hours later we headed back to the dock.
Word at the dock was that ours was one of only two fish caught that day.
Filled out citation papers at the shop at the marina, so that'll be here soon.
Pics in the next post, I'm on my phone.

Tight lines everyone
Drew

biggiesmalls

Big girl. 40" and 30 lbs.

wailua boy

1badf350

Nice job man! Its been horrible on the bay for the past three or so years. Our boat was skunked last year and caught one the year before. Im worried about another skunk this year.
I think a combination of fishing and poaching pressure is starting to take its toll.
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

biggiesmalls

By the time we had been to the dock, there had only been two fish caught on any of the boats, one of them being mine. Yesterday, they only got one fish too (I'm not sure about the other boats though).
It's definitely been a slow season.
We didn't kill the skunk until over 5 hours after leaving the dock.

1badf350

Yeah its bad. Im worried about my trip May 9th. I would seriously rather be at work
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

biggiesmalls

Bad day of fishing beats a good day at work  ::)
I think you might have better luck than we did. Hopefully the water will be warmer for you by then.

STRIPER LOU

Very nicely done. So far up here, its only little guys.

At the very least, its nice to see something with stripes!

................Lou

biggiesmalls

Quote from: STRIPER LOU on April 26, 2018, 10:13:16 PM
Very nicely done. So far up here, its only little guys.

At the very least, its nice to see something with stripes!

................Lou
Hey, I don't mind this fish for the first striper.
Hope the bigger fish come your way soon :)

theswimmer

There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

STRIPER LOU

Yes, I'd be more than happy to have one of that size for my first of the year. We had 9 on Monday, ...  little guys, all released.

At least it was good to see something with stripes on it. We will be at least 2 to 3 weeks behind schedule for the big gals. Mid May more than likely. There are reports of a slug of good size fish leaving the Hudson. Hopefully there's enough bait here to send them this way.

I'm more than ready! Glad you guys had a great day!

.................Lou

biggiesmalls

Lol, not just the first of the season... first of the lifetime!

Reel 224

Very nice catch, we are starting to get 14#-18# striper's in the flats on the Sandy Hook Bay. They are coming up to you Lou since the weather has broke into the 60s. Weak Fish are running in the back water also.

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

redfish12

I have never really understood trophy season but congratulations on your catch. I live in Annapolis and I am hoping this year's catch statistics are not indicative over the overall stock as it's been slim pickings! What boat was that, it looks huge!

Benni3

Great catch that's a big one,,,,good job man ;D