DOMINICK'S PERSONAL BEST ROOSTER FISH-LOS CABOS 6/19/18-6/26/18 REPORT

Started by Dominick, June 28, 2018, 12:47:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Marcq

Quote from: Dominick on June 28, 2018, 07:53:36 PM
Quote from: thorhammer on June 28, 2018, 02:52:43 PM
Great work, Counselor! Was that a tank-caught fish? Rooster is on my bucket list.

At the time I was not using the tank.  The fish was caught on a Penn Slammer 760 spinning reel.  The last photo of a big rooster was caught in 2016 on the Tank.  Dominick

Wow!! On a Penn Slammer  :o

Marc..

Gfish

Cool! Beautiful fish, those Roosters.
Do you eat those or release 'em?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Tightlines667

Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Vintage Offshore Tackle

That's a monster Dominick, and the one from 2016 was no slouch either.  They're both bigger than my best by a wide margin.  Congrats!

Randy

ChileRelleno

Wholeeschit!  :o
That... Those... Are both incredible Roosters.
Congrats on the new PB, truly trophies.
Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

Jigtosser

Nice fish Dom  ;D
That Rooster has shoulders!!!
And on a Coffee Grinder ! :o
Congrats,
Danny

Dominick

Quote from: Gfish on June 28, 2018, 09:51:44 PM
Cool! Beautiful fish, those Roosters.
Do you eat those or release 'em?

I release all roosters, even if the captain or mate want them.  The meat is almost black and from what I understand very oily and fishy tasting.  Most Mexicanos don't eat it and the ones that do will only eat the small ones.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Cortez_Conversions

Visit: cortezconversions.com
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.-Sal

theswimmer

There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

SoCalAngler

Nice fishing even with bad weather, WTG.

I release all billfish and roosters, though I have not caught a swordfish yet so that would change if I ever get one.

Never weighing roosters it is hard for me to guess their weight until 2 years ago when I gill hooked one and weighed it on a certified scale during a tourney. It came out to be just over 42 lbs. I only kept it due to a ripped gill and that fish would have bleed out.

It is also hard to tell from pics what fish weigh but what do you think that fished weighed?

I also have a pic of a 90 lb plus rooster a friend of mine caught in Loreto if you would like some comparison shots?

I donated my fish to needy families down there and was worried that it would just be dog food but I was assured it would be used to feed people. My friend also ate some of his fish and shared some with his family and friends. From what I understand there are ways to treat the meat making it table fare worthy.

Anyway nice fish and on a spinner to boot, good job.

Dominick

Socal (Mark?) just post the fish here.  I don't mind.  I hefted the fish.  I was struggling to hold it up.  I estimated 80 plus.  I would like to see the photo and if posted here we all can compare and comment.  After all it is what it is.  I agree with the billfish and I also try not to hook into one.  They are a lot of work and I don't target them anymore.  They are exciting though since they put on a jumping display.  I would keep a swordfish but not a sail.  Dominick

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

SoCalAngler

My 42 lber first, the 90 lber second and official weight 3rd .

Dominick

Thanks for posting those photos.  Now I need to have the members weigh in on the size.  It is not easy to guess the weight but looking at the weighed 90 lb fish and having hefted it they are close.  by looking at the bulk I would give my rooster the edge.  Come on guys and gals let's hear your opinion.  The record looks to be 114 lbs.  Dominick

Ron Jones

All three are impressive fish. Congratulations to both of you!
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"