July 01 West Side Oahu Weekend Trips

Started by Tightlines667, July 02, 2018, 10:47:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tightlines667

My 76 year old dad flew into town for our annual fishing trip on Thursday. We performed some boat maintanance, and got her ready to fish on Friday.

Saturday

The two of us left Iroquois Point marina at 0430hrs. Set the 9"-Ahi spread on the 300fa around 0515hrs.

Around 0530hrs on the 500fa., the short flat (a newly rigged FireCane w/Dark Firecracker over hot pink) got hit. Landed a nice 23lb Ono.

As we crossed the 1000fa, the short corner (Black/Salmon Malolo slant) went off. This was the right stuff. After 30 mins, and a hot fish on the leader my dad stuck a nice 150lb class Ahi. We got the fish bled, spiked, spined, gilled/gutted /packed and went back on the troll.

As we arrived on the Barbers 1500fa pinnacle, we noticed the other fishing vessel was hooked up. He landed a nice Ahi 20mins later. We worked the area for 45mins

We then trolled to BO. Ended up picking a 12lb Mahi just upcurrent of the bouy on the first pass (same bait as the Ono).

We worked the 1000fa up, then in to S bouy, and the 500fa back down to Koolina. We were back at the fuel dock by 1300hrs.

Didn't finish cutting, selling, packing the fish, and re-icing the boat until 930pm.

Sunday

Picked my fellow fisherman and friend, Erin up at 0400hrs, and the 3 of us left the dock at 0500hrs. Based on the temp maps, and water movement, I figured the tuna are either 35-50nm SW, or up North Shore side. Since we had a late start I opted to troll SW.

Worked the 1000 out to the Barbers pinnacle, few scattered birds. Headed way out SW, and when we hit a 1 deg temp. break, around 36nm out, we found plenty of birds working the area. Fished it for an hour, but the fish were deep, or elsewhere. It was just too bumpy to run the additional 12-15nm SW to the twin deep water pinnacles where I suspected the fish were, so I turned and ran the desert up to the W Pinnacle.

Found a bird pile with small Aku popping as we arrived. Erin said he never does well on the Aku birds, so I switched out to 5" baits just to show him you can catch, and to make sure there were no Otaru in the bunch. After working the pile for 25mins to the NE, one grabbed the long rigger. Small kine size, so we bled/cut/iced him for homemade Poke pupus, and switched to 7" baits.

We worked to R, then S, then back to Koolina by 4pm w/o any more signs of life.

Despite no real action, we had a great time on the water.

A friend caught 2 Ahi and an Ono north shore side.

Another friend said that 'Uncle Roy' caught a swordfish on the troll while fishing the Wailua boat club tourney.!

We had a great meal of fried Ahi belly, and Aku poke for dinner, and it was kinda nice to not have to deal with any big fish....

kinda :)

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Tightlines667

More pics
Hope springs eternal

Tightlines667

I managed to sneak out for a few hours this morning before having to go to work at 1. The plan was to try to catch 1 ono. We left the dock at 7. Worked the 40fa around barber's w/ ballyhoo on planers and riggers. Trolled out and checked the BO. It was really too sloppy to effectively troll ballyhoo. Changed to 7" baits, ran the 500 fa back N, then in to koolina. We took a longrigger strike on a purple tsumatu invert in 1200', but the hook didn't stick. Slice on the newly skirted lure suggests an ono. Nice to get out again.

May give it a try on the 4th.

John
Hope springs eternal

54bullseye

John could you repeat all that in english ?????    Lol !!  John Taylor

Swami805

What's the small fish in your hand? looks like a baby ono or something.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Tightlines667

Quote from: Swami805 on July 04, 2018, 11:32:10 AM
What's the small fish in your hand? looks like a baby ono or something.

A very interesting (to me anyways) unknown larval stage fish that the skipjack spit up live.  I suspect it is Synodontidae, but likely something else.  First time I have seen one, and I have seen alot of stomach contents over the years.

Hope springs eternal

Tightlines667

No Fireworks on tye 4th for me...

Well, can't say we didn't try. Me and my dad left the dock at 0500hrs. Ran 2 heavy jets up to Victor bouy. Set the 9" spread, and trolled the 500 out to CO. We ignored the Aku pile forming upcurrent of the bouy, and trolled 8-10nm further out. Ran the 1000 back up and after seeing the Aku were nice Otaru, switched to Aku baits and worked the birds. Damn fish brought us 5nm west while the seas continued to build. Gave up, and made the long, wet uphill climb back to victor. Saw 2 more small piles on the 500fa point, and 40fa point. Switched to ballyhoo and worked victor area, and ledge southwards. Trolled to the 500, and switched to 4 marlin lures. Ran the line back to straight outside Koolina. There were signs of life outside R, 4nm SW of there, and by Nanakule canyon, but no knockdowns or bites on the entire day. That's fishing. We made it back to the dock at 1630hrs.

I wish I would have stuck to my origional plan and headed 40nm SW of Barber's then up to the pinnacle. Or in hindsight could have tried livebaiting/palu on the 500.

Now I am not sure what to do for the weekend. Guess, I will do what I always do.. cyeck tue winds, sea temp charts, reports, and form a plan of action.

Hope others did better then us?

BTW, I saw there was a nice Blue landed in Lahina that may have won the worldwide Marlin tournament. Often its someone from our old grounds in Bermuda.

John
Hope springs eternal

Dominick

Good report john, glad you are getting out and having fun.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Bill B

Good report John.....ever thought about pitching a new tv show to Discovery.....Wicked Tuna...Hawaiian Style.  :D. Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!