Simple fix for this rod?

Started by FatTuna, August 14, 2018, 06:10:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FatTuna

I have a pair of old Star rods. One of them has some nicks in the blank. Will this compromise the rod? Is there an easy fix or should I just use it to jig bait? Thanks.

Cor

From the photo it looks like it's just some of the outer coating that has chipped away.   If that is what it is, then it has no effect on the blank other then aesthetically.

Most of my rods that have been finished in 2 part PU eventually look like that.
Cornelis

Fishy247

Looks like it's pretty superficial. It shouldn't compromise the strength of the rod. That being said, though, that finish is a pretty good protector against minor dings and scratches that can potentially harm your rod. I've got a few like that that I'm in the process of refinishing and rewrapping. If you don't want to go whole hog and refinish the rod, I'd imagine you could just knock off any loose material(without damaging the blank itself) and spot finish it. I don't really know how well that will work or last, but it would seem like a good idea to me.

-Mike

Reel 224

I don't know! If it's down to the actual lament or worse yet through one layer, it could weaken the rod. How old is it?

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

FatTuna

Thanks guys.

The rod is almost 20 years old. They've been fished hard. I don't want to invest too much time and money into them. However, if there is a quick and easy fix, I'm willing to put some effort into them. Definitely don't think it's worth refinishing/rewrapping them. What is a spot finish?

Also, the grips on them look pretty ratty. Made from EVA foam. Do you think a good solution is putting some rubberized shrink tube on them and hit it with a heat gun? I did that on some of my old surf rods and it came out okay.

Reel 224

Do you think a good solution is putting some rubberized shrink tube on them and hit it with a heat gun? I did that on some of my old surf rods and it came out okay.

I think that's a good idea IMHO...............................Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Swami805

Pull on them and see if they break,if they don't fish them the way they are. Shrink tube is a easy fix for the handles,should work fine.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

boon

Another fix for EVA grips is to give them a rub with a scourer pad (Scotch-Brite for example), it will take the very top layer off and can have them looking good and new.

As for the chips... as above, I would put a reel on them, thread line through it, and pull as hard as you could logically expect to pull on a fish. If they break, well, they weren't fit to be fished with anyway.

If the actual blank is compromised, other than a clean break which can sometimes be jointed, I don't think there's much you can do.

FatTuna

I'd rather just slap some Penn 500s on them and keep them in the rack as designed mackerel jigging setups than risk snapping them. My money is on snap. I don't plan to use them for anything serious. I have nicer gear for that.

I'll try the scotch brite first. Go from there.

Benni3

You could stop at a body shop and ask for enough clear coat to touch it up,,,if not I could send you some ;D

FatTuna

Quote from: Benni3 on August 15, 2018, 03:12:49 AM
You could stop at a body shop and ask for enough clear coat to touch it up,,,if not I could send you some ;D

Thanks. I'll let you know if I need some.

Jim Fujitani

A couple years back, I found a spot like yours on my Star rod (B3050HC).  I cleaned (carefully picked some chips off) to where the epoxy coating stayed firmly attached to the 'subcoat' and filled in with a layer (coat) or two of 'flex coat'.  Rod still works fine.

oc1

Its just the paint chipping off.  The "paint" is a pigmented resin.  The rod's strength is in the resin impregnated fiberglass or carbon fibers.  If there are not broken fibers sticking out then unlikely to be a problem.
-steve

FatTuna

Quote from: oc1 on August 15, 2018, 08:28:14 PM
Its just the paint chipping off.  The "paint" is a pigmented resin.  The rod's strength is in the resin impregnated fiberglass or carbon fibers.  If there are not broken fibers sticking out then unlikely to be a problem.
-steve

Don't see any broken fibers. Thanks Steve.