Gulfstream 8-26-18

Started by thorhammer, August 28, 2018, 03:40:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thorhammer

Weather and schedules finally lined up, we got our act together for a Sunday Gulf Steam trip. I headed 70 miles north Friday afternoon to the cabin to pick up the Thorhammer for drop off at my mechanic, Scott at Shoreline Marine in Wilmington, NC, for baseline service on all filters, fluids, idling, fuel water separators, washdown pump. Scott was a dockmate when I had my old Wellcraft at Masonboro Marina, and a great friend and great mechanic should you need one down there. Note: he told me my engines are used by SeaTow down there, and have gotten 9200 hours with proper maintenance....I wont do that in that this lifetime....Left Sat for 180 mile drive to Wilmy. Dropped off my boat, and met up with Barnes to install new antenna and put the outriggers on the 287 Pursuit. Dinner at Sandbar in Carolina Beach, cold beer, scallops and an Angel's Envy over ice for a sundowner. I'm not a rye drinker, but that stuff is as smooth as it gets.

Headed out 50 NM out of CB Inlet Sunday am to the Nipple, loaded with trolling and bottom gear. Targeting wahoo but also carrying squid, sardines and three dozen live pinfish as we usually hit the bottom spots on the way in. Seas flat and full moon....may have affected the trolling bite , but we did manage one mahi on squid chain (there's only two colors for mahi, pink and pinker) and a large bonito on the planer with a purple and black Islander jr. Then the rain came....and I mean, I was about to jump in, where it would have been drier...

It let up after about 45 minutes, but we had pulled in the spread in case we needed to run away from a t-storm or water spout. Marked some good stuff on the bottom just inshore of the 100 fathom line, so we dropped the squid and pinfish. Barnes uses a 7500SS on a Shimano on a Teramar rod, I was using a 9500SS with 80lb braid and 130lb fluoro leader on a Shimano jigging rod...the only place I will mix the two, only because I got a deal on three of the Trevala's. Immediately hooked up and had steady action on 30lb class AJ's (beasts), large knobbed porgy, many strawberry grouper, two keeper gags, a speckled hind which I'd never caught before, a few grunts, and best of all, no dogfish, which have plaqued us this summer.

Gag was planked and grilled skin down with a seasoning last night, with grilled squash and salad.

thorhammer

more ...can anyone ID the little guy in the last photo? I though it was a juvey tripletail at first, but it's smooth skinned, very slimy, no teeth, continuous dorsal and eyes are super-positioned on the head...almost like a saltwater archer fish or a round flounder...I'm guessing it's in the wrasse family. Released it.

xjchad

Nice John!
That looks like a blast!
Husband, Father, Fisherman

Shark Hunter

Can't Help with the ID, but good to see you out in the new yacht. ;)
Life is Good!

jason_purdy

Looks like a fun time-the fish looks, and sounds from the description, like a soapfish.

-Jason

thorhammer

Good lead....mottled soapfish, apparently a large one, without a doubt.

Dominick

Looking good John.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

steelfish

nice fishing John,

those Gag groupers are identical to our gulf groupers, they are a delicatessen plate for dinner
The Baja Guy

thorhammer

Alex, I think the Speckled hind looks a lot your cabrilla, but are no harvest.

rippin_lips

One of those pictures looks like a scamp grouper, is that the one you were calling a speckled hind?  Scamp are very tasty grouper.

mo65

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

swill88

Wow John!  You did good.

Thanks,

steve

Alto Mare

Looks like a good trip. It's Nice to see you out there John.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

ReelFishingProblems

Oh man! That's looks like a great time with a free shower thrown in!

thorhammer

Quote from: rippin_lips on August 28, 2018, 07:56:17 PM
One of those pictures looks like a scamp grouper, is that the one you were calling a speckled hind?  Scamp are very tasty grouper.

Nope, that one is a gag, what got what we call a grease release....