Gulfstream 8-26-18

Started by thorhammer, August 28, 2018, 03:40:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rippin_lips

Quote from: thorhammer on August 28, 2018, 11:41:15 PM
Quote from: rippin_lips on August 28, 2018, 07:56:17 PM
One of those pictures looks like a scamp grouper, is that the one you were calling a speckled hind?  Scamp are very tasty grouper.

Nope, that one is a gag, what got what we call a grease release....

Not to be argumentative, but that is not a gag in that picture.  I have seen a lot of gag groupers, gag don't have that pattern with the small spots.  Gag grouper don't have those tips on the fins with the white edges like that.  That looks a lot like a scamp, did the tail have extra frills?  If you don't trust me, do a quick google search.

thorhammer

You are correct!!!!   we don't usually bottom bounce that far out and we mainly get gags and reds on the nearshore spots. great eye!!!

rippin_lips

Quote from: thorhammer on August 29, 2018, 03:21:06 PM
You are correct!!!!   we don't usually bottom bounce that far out and we mainly get gags and reds on the nearshore spots. great eye!!!

I grew up fishing and spearfishing on the central east coast of Florida we have lots of grouper.  Like I said I have seen a lot of grouper, in and out of the water, and a scamp always catches my eye they are tasty prime eating.

conchydong

My thoughts too. A Scamp and a Soapfish.
Scamps and Snowies are the best eating of all the Groupers IMO.
Nice report.

steelfish

Quote from: thorhammer on August 28, 2018, 07:34:48 PM
Alex, I think the Speckled hind looks a lot your cabrilla, but are no harvest.

yep, they look pretty similar, they belong to the same family Serranidae, could be the reason  ;)

The Baja Guy

conchydong

Quote from: steelfish on August 29, 2018, 11:58:53 PM
Quote from: thorhammer on August 28, 2018, 07:34:48 PM
Alex, I think the Speckled hind looks a lot your cabrilla, but are no harvest.

yep, they look pretty similar, they belong to the same family Serranidae, could be the reason  ;)

They may look alike but the Soapfish is extremely slimy and the flesh is not very good like other members of the Grouper family. Best to release and I eat almost anything.

thorhammer

Soapfish went on back. Scamp got planked, grilled skin on, ribs in, with a seafood rub. Cook till meat starts to flake, then a quick flip to sear the topside for a couple of mins.  I've been doing this for a while vs. just fileting off the skin and bones. It gives a better yield, is juicier, and any meat is better cooked bone-in, IMO.

ReelFishingProblems

thorhammer

ReelFishingProblems

Quote from: thorhammer on September 04, 2018, 12:04:51 PM
Nope. crap. forgot.

I cut out the cheeks of the last grouper I caught, then the wife baked them with the rest of the fish, instead of me pan searing them... oh well it was still good

conchydong

I don't cut the cheeks out as we make soup out of the whole head (split down the middle with a hatchet and hammer) and the throats. Nothing goes to waste with a Grouper. We even use the backbones on larger fish as they have a lot of meat in between the bones.