Avet frame wear question...

Started by Board4life, August 31, 2011, 06:48:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sinkerswim

A real puzzler there. I guess what your friend is saying is that there were no marks on the crossbar. Then all of a sudden "poof" these marks appeared all at once. Strange, very strange indeed. I maintain this was caused by something external, not anodizing failure. Anyhow, it appears this isn't through the anodization, down to bare aluminum. So, other than it looking a little scratched, it should still function fine. And, the fishies don't know it's scratched ;)  

Nessie Hunter

Yep, Hook Rubs....   

Ive seen many many LR boaters do that, some pull the line straight down Rod and under reel & hook (mostly deck hands)....   Convenient & it works.....

Better then having that 5/0 or Iron or trolling jig hooking you as you walk down the sides of boat!!!!!
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

Board4life

Quote from: sinkerswim on September 02, 2011, 03:35:31 PM
A real puzzler there. I guess what your friend is saying is that there were no marks on the crossbar. Then all of a sudden "poof" these marks appeared all at once. Strange, very strange indeed. I maintain this was caused by something external, not anodizing failure. Anyhow, it appears this isn't through the anodization, down to bare aluminum. So, other than it looking a little scratched, it should still function fine. And, the fishies don't know it's scratched ;)  

he didn't even notice. I did then asked him what he was doing to get them. He had no clue. He is usually pretty nice to his gear as well.

Board4life

I know he doesn't troll with it so he wouldn't need to wrap the feathers around the reel then hook it. He only fly lines with it and sometimes throws an iron. I grabbed my iron and hooks and tried to line up every angle and it just doesn't seem to match. I am lost... Prob something as simple as him storing it in a bag with weights and one day they made contact on the way out.

Irish Jigger

Thank's Board4life for your reply. I am beginning to wonder if these marks were caused when recovering line with a swivel attached and the swivel being wound on to the reel. I am however inclined to agree with Nessie Hunter, hook rubs.

Board4life

And they don't appear to be scratches... like from the barb of a hook... they are dents... like being banged on.

redsetta

QuoteI am beginning to wonder if these marks were caused when recovering line with a swivel attached and the swivel being wound on to the reel.
x2 on IJ's post - seems more and more likely.
Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Board4life

Quote from: redsetta on September 02, 2011, 10:07:00 PM
QuoteI am beginning to wonder if these marks were caused when recovering line with a swivel attached and the swivel being wound on to the reel.
x2 on IJ's post - seems more and more likely.
Justin

Nope... lol. He ties his top shots on and never uses swivels on this reel. Only used for fly line and throwing the occasional taddy. No swivel for either setup. Plus all the swivels he does have wouldn't fit through the tip of any rods he has. What gets me is it isn't one blemish or two. It is a reoccurring thing and we can't figure it out.

Alto Mare

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Board4life

Quote from: Alto Mare on September 03, 2011, 12:01:40 AM
Line marker? :-\

I was thinking line marker but it looks like dents rather than wear. I am thinking it's something more simple than that. Maybe he had it stored next to another reel... or hard object... and they were making contact just right.

alantani

someone should keep an eye on him when he fishes.  i'm certain it's something that he does and thinks nothing of it.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Board4life

Quote from: alantani on September 04, 2011, 07:19:19 PM
someone should keep an eye on him when he fishes.  i'm certain it's something that he does and thinks nothing of it.  alan

Will do... I'll keep you posted.

Brendan

Could it be truck rash instead of boat rash? I have seen people driving down the road with a pile of rods bashing together for miles with reels on with no protection of any kind. Just a thought, Brendan.

striperstalker

It looks like truck rash or boat rash.I've seen it before, put in a rocket launcher or rod holder too close to a bigger reel and not enough space. in a good bite rushing , set next to big reel on top of it's handle, banging the bottom bar. Rods strapped together getting on and off boat, placed in the truck for the ride home.

basto

does he use a long wire trace?
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n