Ranking bearing lubricants?

Started by GulfOfBothnia, September 04, 2011, 11:58:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GulfOfBothnia

Hi all

I would like to here your opinions on different bearing lubricants (e.g. reelx, corrosionx, hot sauce, rocket fuel yellow etc.) and how much difference they make.
And if there are special pros / cons for any of those I would like to hear of them as well.

The criteria could be e.g. free spool time (or if there is better one use it instead).

I'm looking for better casting distances for Ambassadeur 5500 sized reel(s). I'm fishing on fresh water - sea would be a rare exception.

If this topic has been discussed already this way... Please could someone point a link into it.

I appreciate any input here.

Clem

Hi,

There is likely to be other post's that discuss this matter but here is my opinion,

I have found that bearings spin the fastest just after they have been thoroughly cleaned and dried (for spool bearings this means removing the shields, soaking in white spirit and spinning off and on until clean) In regard to oils I have tried, ReelX, Qantum Hot Sauce, Boca High Speed oil and a few others.

Generally speaking I haven't found too much difference between any of named brands.. What seems to have more effect over the speed of the bearing is how much oil you apply. Try spinning the bearing just after you have cleaned it and then progressively add a drop of oil, once you have added 3 drops or more you will notice the bearing wont spin as "long" - at least that is what I have found.

I guess you need to balance corrosion protection and speed..I service my reels regularly so only apply a minimum amount of oil to my casting reels..

Hope that helps

Norcal Pescador

Look here in the Tools board. This is the secret cave where the majority of information on lubes is kept. The first one on lubes is where to start.
http://alantani.com/index.php?board=2.0
There's a lot to read about that's for sure.  I use ReelX and CorrosionX, just started using Oust on the freshwater reels. I haven't experimented much as I don't service reels for a living or avocation.
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

alantani

TSI 301.  best stuff i've ever seen.......
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

GulfOfBothnia

Thank You for all the replies.

TSI 301 sounds interesting.

I just cannot find any website in Europe that is selling it.

If someone knows such I would like to hear about it.

beachbob

had been using hot sauce for reel bearings, just got some tsi301 and used it on an old 6501c3 - this stuff is the bomb!!!  thanx for the head's up on it, alan!!!
revolving spool reels and long rods ~ longbows and feathered shafts ~ guitars that sing and growl

reel bob

I would love to rate TSI 301 but I cant find anyone to ship it  to me here in Alaska.  Any suggestions?

rodent

Reel Bob, you may want to try pilkguns.com, they have the 301 and 321 and shipped them to me in Hawaii.  Yes at times it seems like we live on another planet when it comes to buying online.  Pilk guns were the only one that would ship at a fairly reasonable price, something about hazardous material that causes high shipping.  Well good luck, aloha rodent.

GulfOfBothnia

Thanks for the tip.
Pilkguns.com ships also internationally so I placed an order for TSI 301. S&H is quite much but 8 oz should last a lifetime for me...

alantani

awesome!!!!!  here is the link!  http://www.pilkguns.com/masprlist.htm  the tsi products are way down on the bottom. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

davo

Hi Guys

How well does tsi 301 stand up to salt water as opposed to reel x and corrosion x?

JGB

Corrosion X has more body and gap filling capacity than Reel X or TSI. It also is supposed to have corrosion inhibitors. TSI does not contain inhibitors but prevents water from contacting the metal or any porosity in the metal. TSI is a thin film lubricant and operates at a molecular level. Some testing on bearings submerged in salt water did not corrode but salt crystals did form in the bearing. For general protection I have been blending the TSI with corrosionX to get the benefits of both lubricant and protectant.
But for 'speed' bearings I use straight TSI. 2 years in my own gear has proven TSI and TSI/CorrosionX blend to be winners.

TSI on Spool bearings, pinion/spool shaft, levelwind gear bushings.
TSI blend on Sliding surfaces, plastic/metal pivots, ends of springs in holes, harness lug gaps, handle knobs, Levelwind pawls and worms,clicker buttons, reel seat rivets, end plate gaps to frame to name a few.

Blend is 25% TSI 321 75% CorrosionX - A 50% blend using TSI 301 may work as well and will have the benifit of penetrating more quickly and losening old corrosion.

Jim N.

wallacewt

i contacted pilkguns and they wont ship to oz.any suggestions.im after 8oz bottle.

GulfOfBothnia

Quote from: wallacewt on September 08, 2011, 12:54:25 AM
i contacted pilkguns and they wont ship to oz.any suggestions.im after 8oz bottle.

What does that mean??

I bought an 8 oz bottle using their website.
There was no shipping cost charged during that transaction.

Soon after I received an email where they asked preferred shipping method (express mail or priority mail).
I answered and now the package is on the way to Finland (I hope).

redsetta

Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer