A/R bearing cleaner?

Started by aqua71, December 15, 2018, 05:17:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aqua71

What is the most potent solvent I can use to clean A/R bearings on baitcasting reels that will not harm the plastic? Thanks.

alantani

i have used carb cleaner in the past.  the only problem was blowing out the rollers.  in general, recommend replacing them at the first sign of trouble. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Alto Mare

I would take the boss  suggestions they're always  good ones.

If you still did want to give it a shot on cleaning it and not worrying about plastic parts, give this product a shot:
https://www.amazon.com/PASLODE-219348-12OZ-CRDLS-Cleaner/dp/B004BGBB5W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1544920963&sr=8-1&keywords=paslode+cleaner#customerReviews
I think 75% of its ingredient is Naphtha, with  a little acetone, carbon dioxide and maybe another ingredient.

I've been using this stuff for about 6 years on my fishing reels and really like it.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Tiddlerbasher

I always go easy on ar bearings - there is usually a lot of plastic. I start with IPA (sonic bath helps). Then lighter fuel - napha. Acetone as a last result. To lube ar bearings I pretty much stay with CorrosionX or TSI321 (if it doesn't slip). Most (alot of) ar bearings will slip with regular  grease. Opinions vary :-\

Gfish

I've had ok luck with Inox Mx3. It's a lube/solvent, but much better than WD-40. Works pretty good as a high speed b.bearing lube, too, so the last residual bit don't godda be flushed out of a AR bearing.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

aqua71

Quote from: alantani on December 16, 2018, 12:14:31 AM
i have used carb cleaner in the past.  the only problem was blowing out the rollers.  in general, recommend replacing them at the first sign of trouble.  

Alan, I was under the impression that carb cleaner was harmful to plastic..... especially if you allow the A/R to soak for a several minutes, no?

alantani

i haven't had a problem with the cages for AR bearings, but then i stopped trying to clean them years ago.  it was a wasted effort.  if they are grungy, they really should be replaced. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Jighead61

Quote from: Alto Mare on December 16, 2018, 12:57:41 AM

If you still did want to give it a shot on cleaning it and not worrying about plastic parts, give this product a shot:
https://www.amazon.com/PASLODE-219348-12OZ-CRDLS-Cleaner/dp/B004BGBB5W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1544920963&sr=8-1&keywords=paslode+cleaner#customerReviews
I think 75% of its ingredient is Naphtha, with  a little acetone, carbon dioxide and maybe another ingredient.

I've been using this stuff for about 6 years on my fishing reels and really like it.

Sal

PASLODE is a great and safe product which I highly recommend for A/R bearings.

My favorite degreaser is Perfect Solution, but it's virtually impossible to find locally these days.

https://rotundacleaning.com/rotunda_store/perfect-solution/

Alto Mare

Quote from: Jighead61 on December 16, 2018, 04:15:35 PM
Quote from: Alto Mare on December 16, 2018, 12:57:41 AM

Sal

PASLODE is a great and safe product which I highly recommend for A/R bearings.

My favorite degreaser is Perfect Solution, but it's virtually impossible to find locally these days.

https://rotundacleaning.com/rotunda_store/perfect-solution/

I did a little reading on this stuff, Jighead and looks promising. I like to try different products, so thanks for posting.

I will probably try it on other parts on the reel though, since the Paslode evaporates, it might be a better choice for bearings.

Just my opinion of course.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

handi2

Ultrasonic cleaner, Passload, and Electrical contact cleaner. They all work great.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Jighead61

Quote from: Alto Mare on December 16, 2018, 05:15:32 PMI did a little reading on this stuff, Jighead and looks promising. I like to try different products, so thanks for posting.

I will probably try it on other parts on the reel though, since the Paslode evaporates, it might be a better choice for bearings.

Just my opinion of course.

Sal

I should have been more specific about Perfect Solution. It's my preferred degreaser for general reel cleaning as opposed to the common favorite Simple Green. And I completely agree with you regarding the evaporation aspect which is why I use Paslode or CRC 0501 QD Electronic Cleaner for my A/R bearings.