looking for help aquiring handle and star drag for senator 4/0

Started by crowlk, December 29, 2018, 04:34:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crowlk

vintage reel missing the drag and handle, not sure if needs spacer, bushing washers etc any help appreciated             

day0ne

Handles from any of these reels will work:
9M
10 Mag
49L
60, 65, 66, 67, 68, 111, 112, 285M, 267, 268
77, 78, 79
80 (Conv.)
99, 110, 250, 259
109M
112H
130 (Sailfisher)
149L
25, 26, 27, 155L, 160L, 209M, 209LC, 350M, 180
185, 190
100M, 140L, 145, 146L, 150, 200M
210M
309M
310GT
500, 501
500S
505HS, 506HS
12T, 12LT, 12H

The star is a 10-66 but others will also fit. Try https://www.mysticparts.com/ for either of them
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

crowlk

Thanks for reply, what aboutspacer orbushing or external Washer's or is all that is needed is star, handle ,screw and oil fitting

crowlk

Also is there a step by step on cleaning this reel, any idea how old? Plate looks different than others I've seen?   Thanks for any info.    Kevin

Cuttyhunker

Hit up youtube, there is a guy with a bunch of Penn clean and rebuild videos, calls his operation second chance tackle.
Doomed from childhood

mizmo67

Hi,

Parts section for the 4/0 black
https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Penn113.aspx

Schematic is there to show you other outside missing parts. I do recommend breaking it down to clean it first in case you need externals.

besides handle 24-66 and 10-66 star you are missing
9-66 collar
8-60 x 2 tension washers
23-60 handle nut
110-60 screw

You can use Alan's 111 walk thru as a guide
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=44.0

~Mo

Maureen Albertson :)
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts (Formerly PennParts.com)
Contact Me Via Store Website Please!
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637 (parts ordering or troubleshooting)
customerservice@mysticparts.com

Alto Mare

Crowlk, look around on this site, especially by the Penn Senators section. Alan (the boss) has some amazing tutorials and so do many other members here.

This is one of the best site for reel maintenance and upgrades, the rest just follow.

If you're still stuck I'm sure one of the many members will help out.
Good luck!

Sal

Sorry Mo...typing at the same time :)

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

sdlehr

Crow, it'll be really hard to pin down age for this reel - they were the same for decades. This one has a 2.1:1 gear ratio, I think. Sometimes the handle can be a clue that leads towards discovering the decade of manufacture, but we don't have one of those here. There were a zillion of these reels made starting in the late 30's and early 40's. Yours has parts numbers which didn't exist until about 1950, so it was born some time after that.

Sorry Sal, typing at the same time.
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

xjchad

Crowlk,
PM me your shipping address.
I've got the parts you need. 
Yours for free if you stick around and show us how great that reel looks when you're done refurbishing it  ;)
Chad
Husband, Father, Fisherman

Frank

Quote from: mizmo67 on December 29, 2018, 03:12:23 PM
Hi,

Parts section for the 4/0 black
https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Penn113.aspx

Schematic is there to show you other outside missing parts. I do recommend breaking it down to clean it first in case you need externals.

besides handle 24-66 and 10-66 star you are missing
9-66 collar
8-60 x 2 tension washers
23-60 handle nut
110-60 screw

You can use Alan's 111 walk thru as a guide
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=44.0

Mo is the Penn Parts expert bar none. I don't think a day goes by that I don't consult her website.

Frank
Frank. Retired. Life long fishing and boating fanatic.

Bill B

Chad you are very generous.  🤙  Crow this reel appears to be pretty beat up, you may need to replace the gear sleeve and drags (carbon fiber) also.  Simple to do if you are tearing it down.  Mystic has those parts too.  If placing an order, might want to include some Penn Blue grease, Penn Oil, and Cal's Drag Grease too.  Holler if you run into a problem....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

xjchad

You're right Bill, that sleeve does look a bit rounded.

Crow, I've got an old 4/0 that's complete but in a little better shape. If you want I'll just send you that and you should be able to put together a no cell reel between the two.
Husband, Father, Fisherman

Dominick

Quote from: xjchad on December 29, 2018, 07:01:12 PM
You're right Bill, that sleeve does look a bit rounded.

Crow, I've got an old 4/0 that's complete but in a little better shape. If you want I'll just send you that and you should be able to put together a no cell reel between the two.

That's not a bit rounded, it is rounded rounded.  Definitely need a new sleeve.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Cuttyhunker

Age early-mid 50's. Numbers as noted by Sid came about 1950, the logo under the eccentric lever was moved up under the lugs in the mid 50's. Dad took thousands of stripers with these in his charter business during the 60's 70's and 80's, tough reliable reels, I'm still taking fish these days with some of his old Penn's.
Doomed from childhood

crowlk

I am truly blown away at all the great response and support, thanks again to Chad also, I have been fishing for years with my brother who I recently lost to cancer, haven't fished since but the boat and the water are calling, he was the wiz at reels, love the old pens, hope I can learn from all of you and get back on the water where he would want me, thanks again looking forward to being a part of this great community at Tani.   Kevin