Replacing a handle knob on a US 113.

Started by Alto Mare, January 19, 2019, 07:07:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

We've done this many times, but as we move along we discover easier ways, so I thought I would share.

I removed the knob of course and drill a 1/8 hole on the peened end of the shaft

I then followed with a 1/2" countersink bit

and the shaft came right out with no damage to the arm

the removed knob could actually be reused by tapping for a screw

and here is the new custom knob

Best.

Sal

Joel, your countersink bits already came handy...thank you again.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Darin Crofton

Sooooo Awesome, Sal, you rock brother!!!
God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

foakes

Great tutorial and explanation, Sal!

Thanks,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Rivverrat

Thats pretty doggone nice.
I really like these handles Sal is doing. I just think they would get pretty beat up with my use.. Also like the the longer stem that joins the knob to handle. I know it's said it's best to keep the reel close to the handle most of the time but I like a bit of clearance between the knob & handle like what Sal has done here. Some times I'm waist deep in water & dont have the best purchase on the reel & good clearance here helps me .

Gman_WC

Nice work Sal.  How long does it take to make a handle
and is the process complicated or costly?
How do I get on the secret menu? 8)
-g

Walnut Creek, CA

Dominick

Nice work Sal.  One of these days I am going to figure out something you can't do.   :D  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

steelfish

seems like an easy job when is made by professionals  ;)
... and with proper tools

I dont have a bench drill press and it was almost imposible to do with a regular drill and bits, I ended up using some grinding bits on my dremel, really time consuming but it was a clean job and the knob was changed.
The Baja Guy

Fishy247

QuoteOne of these days I am going to figure out something you can't do.

Good luck with that Dom...  ;)

Beautiful work yet again Sal! Your knobs always seem to match everyone's different color schemes perfectly!

Love seeing all the stuff coming out of your shop. ;D

Mike

Alto Mare

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Donnyboat

Bad news Dominick, Sal can always do it & in a profecioal way, with quality & class, thanks for showing us Sal good value, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

wascallywabit

Snazzy looking handle Sal.  I have one more handle to change on a US 113/Baja. I will be employing your newly shared technique.

Thanks, Ed

Alto Mare

Quote from: wascallywabit on January 20, 2019, 12:16:37 AM
Snazzy looking handle Sal.  I have one more handle to change on a US 113/Baja. I will be employing your newly shared technique.

Thanks, Ed
Great! I want to mention a drop of TSI 321 has been doing wonders when drilling stainless steel. This came from another member, I don't remember who it was, it was his suggestion.
I tried it for myself and was amazed on the results.

Sal

wascallywabit

Quote from: Alto Mare on January 20, 2019, 12:25:12 AM
Quote from: wascallywabit on January 20, 2019, 12:16:37 AM

Thanks, Ed
Great! I want to mention a drop of TSI 321 has been doing wonders when drilling stainless steel. This came from another member, I don't remember who it was, it was his suggestion.
I tried it for myself and was amazed on the results.

Sal

All of those little tips add up to improve techniques and methods.

Fishy247

QuoteI want to mention a drop of TSI 321 has been doing wonders when drilling stainless steel

That stuff is amazing, isn't it?

Alto Mare

Quote from: Fishy247 on January 22, 2019, 05:20:07 PM
QuoteI want to mention a drop of TSI 321 has been doing wonders when drilling stainless steel

That stuff is amazing, isn't it?

Mike, was that you that recommended using it? That stuff doesn't smoke much at low speed, it helps quite a bit when drilling stainless steel.

Sal