Okuma convector cv55l high speed upgrade

Started by kopperklad, October 08, 2011, 09:33:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kopperklad

Anyone know what parts are needed to upgrade a cv55L to high speed and a good place to order the parts?

Thanks

Jimmer

All you need is the high speed gearset, I don't think they are available anymore. I set up two of these for wire line trolling on the great lakes and they work nicely. You could try Tuna's reel troubles but I think I got their last set. - good luck.
What - me worry?   A.E.Neumann

kopperklad

Thanks

I tried them but they didnt have any.

Jimmer

You might try contacting Okuma parts directly. The gearset you want is the one from the S model reel.

zward

Looking to do this as well, by gearset do you mean the drive gear AND pinion gear? (sorry still new to this). Also I have a bunch of CV-45's, are they similar as far as the high speed upgrade? Was thinking maybe the gearing out of the high speed clarion might work (453L I believe). 

Jimmer

Yes, the gears have differnt diameters and must be relaced as a set. The ones I used were for a catalina s model reel. The contoura gear set might fit - It's difficult to check part #'s since Okuma's web site hasn't had schematics for the new reels (or old ones )for a long tIme. Maybe check with Pauly at Tuna's reel troubles . He's pretty up on Okumas  and generally sells parts at a discount. I would also replace the plastic hold plate with a metal one if you have a newer reelas well.

Jimmer

453 LS, s being the designation on most of Okuma's hi speeds.

zward

Hadge

Question,
If I have an okuma CV55L and would like to speed it up, I could take a drive gear and pinion gear from a Clarion 453 LS and put it in the CV55L and it would work???

Has anyone done this?
Thanks
Hadge

Jimmer

The 45 series and 55 series use different gears. Maybe gears from a 553 LS (don't know if they make one).

Hadge

Thanks for the response I was just wounding about it after reading the first post about this.
It's seemed as though you guys were thinking it would work.  But without having the parts in hand it is a near imposable task to figure out. I would not know where to start if someone has not already put the faster gearing in the CV55.
Thanks
Hadge
???
Hadge

Jimmer

Might look here - https://www.okumafishing.com/product/view/reels/star-drag-reels/clarion   click on schematics for the 553. then order the gears and the drag washers.

zward

I've swapped them on mine, and you need the Clarion 553LS gear to speed up the CV-55L. Might try mikesreelrepair.com. They take awhile but can usually get the parts..

Hadge

ok sound like a fun project. I fish with a guy that has two CV55 and I would like to speed them up for him to fish cooper line on Lake Michigan.

Hadge ;D
Hadge

zward

Thats what we use ours for. I have a couple CV55 and a bunch of CV45's we use for copper/leadcore for salmon on lake michigan, all of them now have the high speed gears. Once I reeled in a 300 copper on a high speed there was no going back! ;D