Jigging Master - Carbon Fibre Handles..

Started by Clem, October 11, 2011, 08:16:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hafnor

nice clem. how is the weight? buy one from you? what is the length?

Clem

Hi Thor,

The OA length is 112mm - which is the same as the stock PE5 arm

The weight of the original arm is 24 grams which is pretty lite anyway, however the CF arm is only 14 grams..

redsetta

Hey Clem, I had a phone call today from a shop owner mate who'd heard me talking about your CF JM handles.
He wants to stock 'em if and when they're available - reckons he's already got half-a-dozen keen starters.
I said they're currently a one-off, bespoke item on the other side of the world, but thought you might like to know.
Righto - all the best, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Clem

Hey Justin,

Thanks for that.. ;D

I think I enjoy working out "how to do it" more than anything...CF is an amazing product really - anyone could have a go, that said there are many types of CF on the market so its worth doing a bit of research before you have a go yourself. I have learnt a lot over the past few months and happy to share my experiences if anyone want's to try it.

Once I have sorted everything out, I will make a few up and see if anyone is interested...I have been testing the handle arms for a while now and pretty happy with them..

I have made another part for my PE5N that I am testing now..will get pics up next week when I get back from holiday...I have not seen anything like it on the market or know of anyone who has tried it yet...(I pinched the idea from F1 ;))..I'm sure it will create a bit of discussion..

Anyway catch up soon...

Clem

Hey Justin...

Took this out on holiday...it is crazy how strong This stuff is, this weighs 12 grams...I have tried it on a couple of recent trips..freakishly strong. Got to use my "new" project part also, went really well will get pics up soon.

This one is not much different in weight to the "semi" milled handle (14gms) but looks half the weight due to the full cut out

redsetta

Tis a thing of beauty Clem.
Form follows function.
Love the full cut-out, too.
Great work.
PS Looking forward to hearing about this mysterious "new" project part - you've set the bar pretty high to date...  ;)
Cheers, Justin

wallacewt

just add the kevlar t-bar or knob.goodness gracious me.your a wiz clem,anyone can do it but your the 1st  ;)

Dominick

Quote from: redsetta on November 20, 2011, 08:09:32 PM
Tis a thing of beauty Clem.
Form follows function.
Love the full cut-out, too.
Great work.
PS Looking forward to hearing about this mysterious "new" project part - you've set the bar pretty high to date...  ;)
Cheers, Justin
Xs 2 on this thread.  Good work.
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

broadway

Beauty of a modification, Clem... can't wait for "project X"
Dom

hafnor

Clem

Thanks for the positive feedback..

This is not directly related to the handles (crank arm) but I have been working on a handle/knob to go with the Carbon crank (also in Carbon) however, I decided to also model a knob from dense EVA.

I have read in many threads and also believe that the most important features of a knob or handle should be its shape and size...second to that, the weight and look..of course it needs to be durable etc. I guess the issue that manufactures face is trying to incorporate all these things while sticking to a price point.

Anyway, trying to incorporate these things as a tinkerer is not easy either..especially in Carbon Fiber - but I'm getting there..

Back to the EVA - went to the local sport shop and bought a Yoga block (only had a pink one haha but should be able to find in most colors), not sure of the actual rating but is closed cell EVA and about as dense as it comes..

Had a rough idea in regard to what I wanted to do and rough cut the shape (based on a deodorant bottle of all things) with a bread knife...

From there, got on to it with the dremel and tried a range of tools until finding one to do what I needed - (will get a pic of the bit I used) - the one with the nylon brush pad..you have to be careful and fairly smooth to ensure you don't remove too much stock, but you soon get the feel for it..I put a bit of shape into it by adding finger grips and keeping the thicker part of the shaping towards the front..this ended up being approx 113mm long by approx 35mm at the widest point..the only other bit I used was the standard sanding bit (rubber end with the slip on rollers, feels like 80/100grit)

You could shape it anyway you wanted..and to suit the size of your hand...even in a pistol grip shape?

Most importantly I think it ticks most of the boxes..it fits the hand much better than the original product, looks ok and is considerably light in weight - the original knob is actually quite light in weight (47gms) but for those who want to get lower, the EVA (in this shape) weighs only 12gms!

The original felt ok - I think you just get used to it, but this does feel much better in the hand - what it might look like on the reel..

...Still making a knob in Fiber but this was a great interlude and I learnt a few things along the way....how to connect it to the shaft is the next question, there are a few ways but I want to take a different approach to the norm..will get some pics soon but I'm making a new shaft..no shaft bearing or sleeve required as I have put 2 bearings into a Carbon Fiber housing that will insert into the EVA handle

Sounds a bit odd, but actually simplifies the whole arrangement - less parts required and is again lighter than the original. The original has 1 bearing at the bottom of the shaft but it actually doesn't do a lot.. some radial load but no thrust - so it doesn't make too much difference whether its in or not..this design should offer more smoothness at least..

Total weight for the original shaft (34gm complete) and t-bar (47gm) totals 81gms or just under 3oz in the old money..I think I can get the whole lot to around 30gm using the EVA..

hafnor

Dominick

Looking good Clem:  Keep at it.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

redsetta

Awesome Clem - bet you're enjoying the challenge of it all.
Cheers for keeping us tinkerers in the loop.  ;)
Good luck with the final stages, Justin

Alto Mare

There is no stopping you Clem, looks like you can do anything. Now, if you don't mind me asking...what do you do for a living? Keep up your great work. Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.