Jigging Master - Carbon Fibre Handles..

Started by Clem, October 11, 2011, 08:16:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clem

Hey all..

This is what happens when the weather is too hot to fish (Dubai summer).. Like many, I enjoy having a tinker so thought about making a few new handle arms for my JM reels..

As you can see above, the factory arm in alloy and my "project" arm in CF.

Why do I want a CF arm? no reason at all...just wanted to see if it could be done, have been testing this one for a month or so and been pretty impressed..made out of 6mm sheet (I think it is stronger than the alloy one?)

CNC the handle to the desired dims and then finish the edges and polish by hand..came out alright I think, anyway a couple of my mates now have them and also trying them out....something a bit different

Took a bit of time to sort it all out...but enjoyable

The CF is extremely strong but is messy to work with...anyway just thought it maybe of interest...could make them for just about any reel I guess..

The good thing is, the weather is starting to cool down.....so back to fishing soon

Clem

redsetta

That's a cracker Clem - nice work.
If testing goes well, this could be a great addition to just about any reel (I s'pose 3/0 and bigger would be the best application).
Great stuff - patent pending!
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Rare

That's awesome. How much weight did you shave off vs the alloy handle?

Alto Mare

Nice work clem! That material is not easy to work with, could you share the type of tools that you used?
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Clem

Thanks guys,

Will come back to you on the weight..

As far as this arm is concerned I used a diamond file and some 600/800 grit sandpaper - it can be polished up with pretty much any wax, I used some G10 that I had. You could use a dremel for the edges and or polishing...this one was done by hand as I really didn't know what I wanted to do with it.

The Pe3 and pe5N that I have are manufactured with 2 different length arms - the difference is only small, 5mm - 8mm. I built this arm to be in between both of them and it feels great.

I'll keep playing with the design and keep you all updated..

basto

Congrats Clem, you are an artist! I have a PE8 that would work well with one of these.
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

Clem

Hey Pal,

Thanks, I have redesigned the handle since that one and still testing it - so far it has worked great - The CF really is stronger than I thought it would be. It is extremely rigid and I thought this may translate to the arm being brittle, but I haven't found this to be the case at all..

I'll get some pics of the new one I have been testing, I think it looks better than the one pictured above and is actually lighter. I need a decent scale to confirm the difference between them all.

I'm also working on a CF handle/Grip that uses the standard shaft and will get some pics of that also.

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

hafnor

I have a black and gold jm and I really want one of those handles. would you sell me one?

Clem

Hi Hafnor,

I will get some pictures up of the new handle to see what you think, the new one has a milled insert..

hafnor

Snagged2

Clem

Hi Hafnor

Pictures of the final handle design,

This is the one I have been testing....

I didnt shape the edges on this one as much as the previous handle but it is fairly easy to do. I did seal the edges though and gave them a quick polish.

You can do this by using any super glue "gel" this allows you more time to work it on, once its hard give it a quick sand - 600/800 grit and then a bit of wax.

Anyway, I think it turned out alright..as Justin mentioned you could make them for any reel really.

redsetta

Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Alto Mare

It turned out more than alright. You really have some talent there Clem, this is coming from a carpenter/mason with over 30 years of experience ;). Keep up your excellent work. Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.