Buying a used Penn Senator 9/0

Started by Inspiro, October 24, 2011, 06:38:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inspiro

Dear All
Good day

Someone I know is selling his used Penn Senator 9/0, I'm considering buying it from him
I have a few questions:
How can you differntiate between USA made and Chineese made 9/0,
Are there any special models to avoid, I did a quick search about Senators history but could get nothing solid about that
Are there special areas to inspect/avoid before buying.
Are there any areas that NEED to be upgraded on the 9/0

Thanks in advance
Best Regards
Inspiro

alantani

honestly, i think that the usa versus china penn reel controversy is overblown.  they all need to be serviced ahead of time.  if the reel suits your needs, grab it and plan on having to service it ahead of time.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Inspiro

Dear Alan
I'm sure you know what you are talking about
My concern is that some people I met say that the new models of 9/0(Chineese production as I remember)have a certain plastic component that fails after very short use, they solve this problem by replacing it by a machined metal part, is this true?
Are there any areas I need to carefully examine before buying a used one?
Do all senators have Ht-100 drag washers or only new models?
Do old models need a darg upgrade?
Do senators have any area that NEED upgrading?

Thanks
Inspiro

broadway

Inspiro,

I would personally go with the USA made version due to parts availability and it's time-tested.  You just want HT-100's or carbontex drags (grease them) from Dawn and a new style handle.  If you plan on trolling get the chromed over spool (115)... otherwise go with the aluminum (115L).  No other necessary upgrades on the 9/0.
Have fun,
Dom

Norcal Pescador

The USA 9/0 (as with all Penns I've seen) will say right on the reel, "Made in the U.S.A.". Those made in China will not have have any country of origin marked on them, only on the box, "Made in China". I agree with Dom.
Rob
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Inspiro

Dear Dom, dear Norcal
Thanks for your recommendations
I can't get the differnce between the 115 & 115L clearly, also do you have any idea when did Penn start using the HT-100 drag washers in the senators? What abput those "new style handle"?

Thanks again
Inspiro

Inspiro

One more question
Is there a difference between the drag capability in old ones vs. new ones with HT-100?

Inspiro

Norcal Pescador

The 115 should have a chrome-plated brass spool, the 115L should have an aluminum spool; the L stands for lightweight. If you can hold the reels, you will feel the difference. I say 'should have' because that's the way it comes from the factory. If you're buying a used one, someone may have changed the spool. The 115L will cast better and your arms will thank you at the end of a day of fishing. Don't use the aluminum spool if you're going to use wire line; the aluminum is too soft and will deform or gouge.
The reels with HT-100 drags are way better than the old thick fiber washers. The old fiber give less drag friction and are not as smooth. It is fairly easy to convert to HT-100s; just changing parts and no custom work.
Rob
Rob

redsetta

Hey Rob, a bit off topic, but just wanted your thoughts comparing the 112H to the 500H.
I've given both the Tiburon treatment, plus handle upgrades.
The gearing's the same and both produce about 15lbs of drag.
Aside from height and width, they now seem pretty much interchangeable.
Any thoughts?
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Alto Mare

Justin, I let Rob answer this one. You did mean comparing the 500S to 112H.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Norcal Pescador

G'day Justin -
The 112H and the 500L/500S both have bushings instead of bearings. The 112H has inner and outer sideplate rings and the 500 only inside. The 112H is red and the 500L is black. ;D  Other than that, not much difference. Many of the same parts are used for both. Like Alan says, bushings hardly ever go bad.
As far as which I would prefer? I can't say. I have a 500L with the 5:1 Newell gears and it's great. I guess I would take a 112H only because I don't have one. That's about as non-committal as I can be. ::)
Rob
Rob

Alto Mare

As usual Rob always has a great answer. I just wanted to add that even though most parts are interchangeable, the bridge plate is different. The bridge on the 500 comes with the dog and spring preassembled. The maintenence on the 500 is extremely easy, but that doesn't mean much to you Justin, I'm sure that all reels feel that way to you. I personally prefer the 112H, especially with your upgrades; somehow the 500 seems to attract more salt. The 112H is a couple of ounce heavier, but holds 100yds more than the 500L and about 75 yds more than the 500S. The 3 models vary in waight by just a couple of ounce. Take care. Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Alto Mare

Just to get back on track

Quote from: broadway on October 24, 2011, 10:43:32 AM
Inspiro,

I would personally go with the USA made version due to parts availability and it's time-tested.  Dom

Me too.

Inspiro, if you're looking for a reel in that range you might want to consider the Penn 114H. It comes with the same gears as the 115, but it is a little lighter and faster. I  recommend  the older 114H, all it needs is a power handle and a one piece frame. Alan should be able to help you with those. When you're done, that reel will be your friend for the rest of your life. Happy fishing. Sal

redsetta

Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Inspiro

Thank all for your advice
Unfortunately trolling is not as popular in Egypt, so one can't find a big variety
Any ways, I bought the 9/0 I was talking about, it was a very fair deal, I'll post photos ASAP, wish me alot of big fish ;D  ;)

I just have one more question:
Is the drag the same on all standard 9/0?

Thanks
Inspiro