Drag washer materials

Started by kenwahoo, November 16, 2011, 04:37:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kenwahoo

There's a lot being said of carbon fibre type and it seems whenever upgrade is mentioned the carbon washers are it. However, there are other materials used and oiled felt is among the most popular being supplied in the cheaper range of reels. In the past, leather was one of the best and some have even used chamois to good effectiveness. I think carbon washers are not necessary all the time even though, relative to the cost of the reel, they are not inexpensive. Still, I'd like to know the effectiveness of oiled/greased felt, leather, etc but I haven't been able to find any article where someone has performed scientific tests. Does anyone know of any tests?

alantani

except for greased carbon fiber, i've seen them all get sticky ........   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Limey

Taking apart an old drag stack you will often notice that the leather washers have compressed wafter thin and that dried out grease has welded them together in one brittle lump that needs soaking in spirit or levering apart. The old type washers are soft when freshley greased but will compress past their elastic limit and will not return to their original thickness when the drag is wound down hard or if you forget to back it off. Its much the same with felt washers. Add heat from friction caused by a running fish and you can see what the life expectancy of a set of old drag washers is. You can feel this happening when an old reel picked up at a junk store has all of the drag adjustment taking place in 1/4 turn of the star wheel.

The woven textile of the carbon washers is much stronger and more elastic and resistant to heat. Add modern lubricants intended specifically for drag washers to the mix and a drag stack is going to only need taking down once a year for a re-lube and check.

I'd hate to rely on an old set of washers and have the drag malfunction if there is a decent fish on.

I'm guessing that the reason that the new carbon washers are used are because fishermen and people that service tackle have found that they are more efficient, effective and easier to maintain. Out of historical interest, I think that some drag washers may have also been constructed out of asbestos at some time in the past. So hold your breath when dismantling reels of uncertain oregin!!!!

Tight liness all.

Limey

coastalobsession

It's all about that carbon fiber!!!!
Coastal Obsession Deckhand and reel cleaning

Nessie Hunter

Woven Carbon Fiber...    Grease...   Thats just how I roll...   LMAO....  ;D
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

kenwahoo

My DAM 5000 spinner had an asbestos brake. Very efficient even though cancerous.