Maintenance Recomendations--New Reels in Long-Term Storage

Started by wcarah, November 20, 2011, 02:45:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wcarah

I recently purchased some 12 saltwater reels and rods (spinning, trolling and casting), all in new condition, from an estate.  The equipment has never been used, but has been sitting mounted on the rods in a dry basement since 2001.

What maintenance is recommended before use?  The equipment varies between Calcutta 700's to Shimano 6500A Baitrunners to Penn 114H's.  All reels were stored with the drags backed-off.  Should each reel be broken down, cleaned and re-lubed?  Should the drag discs be replaced? Everything is just pristine, so I'm asking myself how far do I need to go.

Thanks,

Warren

Norcal Pescador

Warren,
I recommend going through all of the reels. The grease may have hardened and the oil may have varnished over the years. When you open them up, you'll be able to evaluate the drag washers, replace any that aren't carbon fiber, and as you said, do an AT pre-use service. The bearings should receive special attention even though stored in a dry basement.
Rob
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Tile

The reels should be cleaned and relubed as Alan says (greasing the screw holes, bearings, gear trains and all non-exposed surfaces with a good marine grease and the drag washers should be replaced with carbon fiber ones where is the case and be given a good greasing with Cal's or Shimano drag grease). The relubing will keep the reels free form corrosion and save you from the problems associated wit it.
In solid fiberglass we trust

Alto Mare

Wow! ( 12 ) new sets.... let me keep ( 2 ) sets and I'll do all the dirty work for you ;D.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Nessie Hunter

Youll be surprised what you find if/when you open them up!!!!

The A/T pre-use service is Strongly recommended...

As long as your in there,  I would upgrade all the drags to Woven Carbon Fiber (Carbontex).
With Cals Drag grease, best single upgrade you can do IMHO...
Never worry about them again...

Moisture, temp & humidity changes in 10 years will Cause Water/condensation to form on all metal parts.

Dry Basement???  New one on me!!!   ;D

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

wcarah

Thanks to all of you for your suggestions.  It looks like I have a winter project ahead of me.

Warren

coastalobsession

I would send them to a cleaner and have them get checked out. I am open right now for cleanings just send me a PM. there are also a few other people that clean them to on the website. http://alantani.com/index.php?board=27.0

Coastal Obsession Deckhand and Reel Cleaning
Zach Phillips
(979) 216 6181
Coastal Obsession Deckhand and reel cleaning