Shimano DC Reels

Started by Jayce, November 27, 2011, 03:31:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jayce

Hi Guys,

Want to ask if anyone has serviced any shimano DC reels.
Im planning to get one but I want to check if they are easy to maintain (Lubing, cleaning etc).

Also, if the DC circuit gets wet is it toast already ?

tia

alantani

if you mean the trinidad DC's they are very similar to the standard trinidads and toriums.  http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=45.0
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Nessie Hunter

I have serviced several DC reels.  All the smaller ones 200/300 size..
Calcutta & JDM Conquest....

They are very nice & easy to service..   
The DC Module is Sealed and separate. Held in with a couple of screws...   
There are Wire Windings that it fits into to create enough juice to operate the DC.
They (wire windings) are coated and I have seen no Saltwater issues with them so far.. 
Just be careful in that area...

These particular reels are heavily used in the surf and are submerged in Sandy, Saltwater while carried in a waist holster for second rod.....

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

inhotpursuit

I have 4 dc reels  Conquest 201dc,101dc,Atares dc7and a Scorpion dc all are suprisingly easy to service,make sure you download a pdf of the schematics before you dissasemble the reel and print it out, the DC system is totally waterproof and very reliable

Jayce

Quote from: inhotpursuit on November 27, 2011, 07:36:56 PM
I have 4 dc reels  Conquest 201dc,101dc,Atares dc7and a Scorpion dc all are suprisingly easy to service,make sure you download a pdf of the schematics before you dissasemble the reel and print it out, the DC system is totally waterproof and very reliable

Bingo just the reel in mind.  Hi inhotpursuit bro are you the same handsome dude on the other channel  ;D.
Whats your take on the Scorpion DC ?  Base on the schematics there is no easy access key to open the non-handle side plate and looks like
you need to screw/unscrew some screws to access the spool/bearings.  Its a added hassle for me since i do regular maintenance on the bearings.
Will the usually mods like Carbontex, abecs etc apply also (same size as the curado e ?).
Also, I read on some forums that they feel "plasticy" or its a citica with a fancy electrical bling (DC Circuit).
Need a first hand advice who used it before I pull the trigger.

Thanx for the replies guys.

inhotpursuit

Hi Jayce yeah its me the ronaldo look alike 8) i'm just in the process of  tuning the Scorpion ,i just got a Daiwa T3 1016 so i'm gonna be doing a comparison shootout and teardown of both reels will be posting it on the FilAng forum for you.the Scorpion is not like the other dc systems it only has three settings and yes you have to unscrew the screws to get at the spool,as is the same on the other dc reels, it is inconvenient but the dc system makes it worthwhile i have yet had to fieldstrip a dc because of a bad birdsnest ,i find the Scorpion very solid feeling not plasticky at all,it is certainly not built like the Conquests or Antares but with a sticker price of around $345 it is a good reel.

binjai

Quote from: inhotpursuit on November 28, 2011, 07:39:40 AM
Hi Jayce yeah its me the ronaldo look alike 8) i'm just in the process of  tuning the Scorpion ,i just got a Daiwa T3 1016 so i'm gonna be doing a comparison shootout and teardown of both reels will be posting it on the FilAng forum for you.the Scorpion is not like the other dc systems it only has three settings and yes you have to unscrew the screws to get at the spool,as is the same on the other dc reels, it is inconvenient but the dc system makes it worthwhile i have yet had to fieldstrip a dc because of a bad birdsnest ,i find the Scorpion very solid feeling not plasticky at all,it is certainly not built like the Conquests or Antares but with a sticker price of around $345 it is a good reel.

noob here... lurking most of the time, but now i've decided to join the party  :D

inhotpursuit... glad if u could provide a step by step instructable for stripping down the scorp dc. Only manage to take out the side plate with the dc unit out. the spool? need help on this. appreciate any feedback. tq

fisher480

Remember the Scorpion is just the JDM Curado. I have the XT1000 (not a DC ) but it's no different to my other Shimano baitcasters.

I would still do the carbontex upgrade. I fished mine hard for a month this year and I was glad of the upgrade.