How to tell type of metal a main gear is made of

Started by Wilmar, March 15, 2020, 08:04:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wilmar

Hey everyone,

Happy wishes of a plenitude of toilet paper to one and all!

I recently acquired a jigmaster 501.  It came with a Carl Newell Spool and 3 HT100 drags.  I went through it and the main gear is a dull grey, it is a 4 to 1 gear.   It doesn't look or "feel" like the typical bronze gear.  It is not shiny so I was thinking it was not stainless steel but I came across an online add for a Newell 4:1 stainless jigmaster gear set and the main gear of the set did not look shiny in the ad. 

Does anyone know whether the kind of stainless steel used in upgrade gears is magnetic or not?  How do you tell what kind of metal a part is made of?

Thanks from the wonderful world of east central Indiana!

-Wilmar

Maxed Out

The dull grey color gears will work fine. I have never had any issues with them
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Wilmar

Thanks Maxed Out.  Do you know what metal these dull grey gears are made of?

Wilmar

Additionally, is this gear likely a Newell made gear or something else?

Thanks all, Wilmar

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Wilmar

Alto Mare

Wilmar, those are Penn gears.
They are moly coated, a very durable finish.
Gears could be stainless steel.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Keta

Quote from: Alto Mare on March 15, 2020, 08:59:03 PM

Sal

I haven't touched any with a grinder to check but you would know more than me Sal.  They are my preferred gear.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Alto Mare

Quote from: Keta on March 15, 2020, 09:04:07 PM
Quote from: Alto Mare on March 15, 2020, 08:59:03 PM

Sal

I haven't touched any with a grinder to check but you would know more than me Sal.  They are my preferred gear.

No Lee, I do not know more than you. I do remember seeing those in the 50th anniversary catalog, that is when they claimed the gears were stainless steel.
I wasn't 100% sure, since Wilmar didn't post a pic of the actual gear.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Keta

:)  They are stronger than brass and as quiet.

Mark Twain

Alto Mare

Quote from: Keta on March 15, 2020, 09:14:59 PM
:)  They are stronger than brass and as quiet.
I always do, but I think you get away if you don't grease those, the finish would take care of it.

Sal

Wilmar

Thanks Alto and everyone else. 

I am figuring I will install a  5 carbon fiber drag stack and buy a stainless steel gear sleeve for this 501.   I am getting the feeling that I should not worry about damaging this main gear with the max drag numbers possible with those upgrades.  

By the way Alto it is my ultimate goal to tank out a 113H sometime in the future.   

I've got three other Jigmaster 500's; a nearly complete lineup of Diawa Sealines - a 30h, 50h, 47h, two 400h's, 600h, 900h; two semi tanked out 113h, a stock 114h previously used for sturgeon fishing out west (at least that is what the ebay seller said at the time), a Shimano TLD 15/30, and a TLD 20/40 with an arm and handle from Alan and a lineup of spinners - Daiwa BGs - bg20, bg30, bg60 and bg90.   All of these except for three or four need carbon fiber drag upgrades at the very least.  My goal is to collect bulletproof classics. 

Wilmar

Wilmar

I will see if I can figure out how to post a picture of the gear.

Wilmar

see attached

Alto Mare