Penn 113h Reel/Tank

Started by Alto Mare, December 02, 2011, 02:39:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dominick

Quote from: Bryan Young on March 01, 2012, 02:59:39 AM
Had a whale get tied up with my friends pole once.  We all casted out, and getting ready to slide the first bait, then wham...  His 4/0 extended started screaming.  We were all stunned because we were all getting the baits ready to slide for the evening, then the whale surface and snap!  Spool emply and we were still sitting holding our slides.  Brand new Maxima 80# gone in one heart best.  Can be exciting.  We were all teasing him for casting out too far for the entire night. 
How come no one grabbed the pole to hit full drag and turn it?   ??? What kind of fisherman are you guys anyway.   ;)  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Makule

QuoteHow come no one grabbed the pole to hit full drag and turn it?   Huh? What kind of fisherman are you guys anyway.

Yeah, I wondered about that myself.  It's one thing to say, "I cast so far that I hooked up to a whale (we know whales will sometimes come right up to shore)", or "A whale caught my line" (it's unusual but not unheard of), but who else can say, "I fought a whale"?  Now that would be impressive (even if it lasts only 2 seconds).
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

Keta

A friend of mine had a sub on for a minute or so off the east side of POW Island.  In the same area another friend had his skiff bumped by a humpback and I've had them spray me when they surfaced.  We also have had Orka surround our boat a time or two.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

broadway

I didn't realize how dangerous fishing was on the West Coast... the only dangers here are the Coney Island Whitefish!  :o
Dom

BMITCH

Broadway,

I probably fish the same areas that you do. East coast NY bight. Did you know that this is a Great White pupping ground. Food ( not us) for thought.
luck is the residue of design.

broadway

I've heard some stories about pup whites in the bight but no solid evidence. Im pretty sure the brown shark are pretty active off coney island... I have had them on a few times, but never landed one.  There are always threshers caught in our area in the late summer and early fall. Last year I had a nice shark on when I brought my dentist and his son fishing for stripers in early fall, and with wire and no experience... This didn't last long! We'll talk more as our season approaches!
Thanks
Dom

Makule

Back to the Tank:  Assuming there are graphite spools for the reel, would they be strong enough?  I imagine that the metal ones would be stronger, but if it's enough, it's enough (for me).  Don't know if those graphites ever break, but the metals ones do.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

Alto Mare

Albert, I'm surprised that you would even ask that question after seeing what you did to that 12/0 one-piece cast spool.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Makule

Quote from: Alto Mare on March 03, 2012, 05:06:33 AM
Albert, I'm surprised that you would even ask that question after seeing what you did to that 12/0 one-piece cast spool.

Lest you think me daft (wouldn't be far from the truth, however), here's the rationale:  The 12/0 reel was filled with 100 lb mono.  It broke after about 600 yards was wound in under considerable pressure (large shark).  On the other hand, I have used the very old 3-piece, pressed together, spools on a 6/0 (only holds about 200 yards of 100 lb mono), and have never had a problem with them, including two of my largest fish. 

With very limited line, there is much less pressure built up on the spool, even if the line is wound under pressure.  In a situation where the amount of line on the spool becomes very great, the lateral pressure (against the spool sides) becomes enormous.  In a hypothetical situation, it would not surprise me, for example, if even a solid cast bronze spool on the 113 would break simply by winding it full with 4 lb mono under pressure.  The cumulative pressure of those thousands of turns would likely far exceed the pressure generated by the hundreds of turns of much larger line.  In a much exaggerated example, only to demonstrate the point, if you were to take 1/4" rope and wind it around your hand as tight as you could for 5 turns, you'd feels some pressure but not enough to break off your fingers.  Now, with 6 lb mono wrapped around with some pressure for 100 turns, you'd know that the pressure is far, far, greater.

So, if I filled the 4/0 with 100 mono (say 150 to 200 yards), there really won't be nearly as much pressure as if filling it with 40, 50, 60, or 80 lb mono.  My concern then, would be whether the other components (I.E., gears, bearings, frame) would withstand the abuse.  Quite honestly, I would worry more about whether the spool shaft would bend than the spool sides failing, even if the spool were well-engineered graphite.  There won't be that much lateral pressure even when full, but there can be close to 100 lb of bending moment if it runs out of line.

Alto Mare

Quote from: Makule on March 03, 2012, 07:05:06 PM
Lest you think me daft (wouldn't be far from the truth, however),is far, far, greater.
Far from it Albert.
I'm taking everything that you're bringing to the table in.
I'm glad that you joined us and enjoying your company.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Makule

Quote from: Alto Mare on March 03, 2012, 07:17:02 PM
Quote from: Makule on March 03, 2012, 07:05:06 PM
Lest you think me daft (wouldn't be far from the truth, however),is far, far, greater.
Far from it Albert.
I'm taking everything that you're bringing to the table in.
I'm glad that you joined us and enjoying your company.
Sal

Don't forget.  Any advice I give is worth every penny you pay for it.

broschro

Here we have my two tanks, one has all the goodies and the other one will soon.
They have double dogs thanks to Sal and company for all the awesome info and pic's. Everything in the narrow one is stainless or will be soon I have no doubt this thing could handle 25 lbs of drag all day if you could hang on Ha Ha  :D :D :D :D

Alto Mare

Gorgeous reels broschro, very nice ;).
By the way, is that powder coating on those rings? I'm trying to get my rings done.

Caranx

I like those side plate screws. Are those specialized for the 113h?

broschro

Quote from: Alto Mare on March 04, 2012, 01:52:17 AM
Gorgeous reels broschro, very nice ;).
By the way, is that powder coating on those rings? I'm trying to get my rings done.
I just started and I like what I see so far. Sal let me know what you want and we can work out a deal cheek eastwood.com I like the powder they have. Here's some pic's