Penn 113h Reel/Tank

Started by Alto Mare, December 02, 2011, 02:39:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

broschro

Quote from: Keta on March 07, 2012, 03:12:52 PM
Let me know where.  I'll reimburse anyone double what they paid for the first batch of dogs if you are not 100% happy  ;D
hi lee send a pm with Your address over to me so I can get something out to you for the dogs? Also was wondering if you sent three or if one fell out. Thanks Jamie

Keta

Run #1 was free, the extra dog was an unfinished one I stuck in for you to see.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Alto Mare

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Makule

Sorry for the poor image.  As Sal states, the area that should be removed is shown below.  It's an old brass gear, but you can see the rounded area.

I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

Makule

Quote from: Squirmypug on March 07, 2012, 05:11:08 AM
Makule I don't think Corrosion-X is good for drags, try to clean them off with carb cleaner and let them dry then install them.If you can't get more drag with them dry you may need to add a spacer washer to increase stack hight to prevent the star from bottoming on the sideplate.

Yes, that was my next step.  I'm sure the star is not bottoming out
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

Makule

So the drag washers were cleaned, reinstalled, and it went up to 18 lb.

Are you guys pulling through a rod or straight out from the reel?

broadway

Sal pulls through the rod... the right way  ;)
Dom

john2244

Makule,

Just for information I just checked a couple of Penn 113H reels I have with a 5 stack drag and with one reel I got 24 #'s
and the other 28 #'s. This was on a straight pull from the reel. I think with the rod you will get another 2 #'s.

John

Alto Mare

Albert, I don't know what type of plate you have. See if this helps:

I would also use additional belleville above or below the star if needed. Sal

The last keyed washer on the left side stack is a cupped washer.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

broadway

John,
      A straight pull is not an accurate measure of drag pressure.... you need a bend in the rod like you would when you're fishing it.
...and 24 and 28 lbs. are big numbers... did you do the Sal modification and all the other upgrades we commonly do?
Dom

john2244

Hello Dom,

I agree they are big numbers, I would not fish these reels at these levels.  I was just checking to see what they would get.  Both have the five stack drag and one reel has the double dog.  Also, I agree for a more accurate reading you would want to check pulling on a rod.  But for "ball park" numbers I always check on a straight pull and add a couple of #'s.  It is much faster and easier on my old back. I guess that number could change depending on the rod the reel is on.  

John

Jimmer

Holy crap! I'm buying ballard stock right now.
What - me worry?   A.E.Neumann

broadway

I hear ya, John... I don't like holding the 20lb. pail on a rod either, that's why I get a crew mate to do it ;)
Dom