Penn 113h Reel/Tank

Started by Alto Mare, December 02, 2011, 02:39:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

Bryan,I believe that the 1+7 is very possible...thanks to George. I contacted Dawn and asked her for some .5mm washers but she explained that it would be too costly to set up the cutters. So, if we could get a bunch of guys going in with us, it might be possible :-\.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

suitekids

oh boy, here we go again, I'm in :o

ShoreKasterHI

Oh no! The Miss's isn't going to be to happy lol but im in ;D.

broadway

I think I might have contributed a "few" hits myself to this topic... I'm amazed how simple you make it look, Sal/Justin/and many others  8) ...not to mention the functionality!

PS- Make it 10,001 ;)
Dom

George4741

Quote from: Alto Mare on June 15, 2012, 10:28:55 PM
Bryan,I believe that the 1+7 is very possible...thanks to George. I contacted Dawn and asked her for some .5mm washers but she explained that it would be too costly to set up the cutters. So, if we could get a bunch of guys going in with us, it might be possible :-\.

Yes, I have been mulling over the 1+7 drag thing on the 114H, as well.  My preliminary measurements show that it will work with the stock metal washers and .5mm thick carbontex washers at approximately 29.718mm diameter.  Sal, you meant .5mm carbontex and not .5mm metal washers, correct?  Anyway, Dawn doesn't have any carbontex with those measurements, so one option is to take her #59 carbontex washers, reduce the outer diameter, and enlarge the hole.  That is, if she isn't able to custom cut some carbontex to the right size for us. 

The keyed metals are 1.70mm thick and the eared metals are 1.117mm thick (at least my samples are).  So, another option is to take her #46 carbontex (measurements are .76mm thick x 29mm diameter) and open up the hole as necessary.  Then have some keyed metals made up to the same thickness as the eared washers (1.117mm) and everything should fit.  The third eared washer will sit flush in the top of the main gear.

Does this make any sense?  Someone might want to double check my measurements, as I've had a few beers. ;D

George
viurem lliures o morirem

alantani

3am, second scotch.  unwinding after a 12 hour shift at the hospital.  you're on your own!   ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Alto Mare

You might want to try some chamomile at that time of night boss ;) ;D
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Alto Mare

Quote from: George4741 on June 16, 2012, 07:40:02 AM

Sal, you meant .5mm carbontex and not .5mm metal washers, correct? 
Someone might want to double check my measurements, as I've had a few beers. ;D

George
Yes George I meant .5mm carbontex washers.
Keep drinking those beers, I'm liking your ideas ;).

George4741

I should mention that the cavity (cavity?) in my 114H main gear is 12.446mm deep.

I just woke up and feel fresh, so I'll double check my figures.  Then, I will put in an order to Dawn for seven #59 carbontex washers.  And since this topic subject is supposed to be about "Penn 113h Reel/Tank", I'll also order seven #39 carbontex for my 113H. ;D

I might as well plug my original topic here that led up to this.  

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=4333.msg32818#msg32818

Quote from: Bryan Young on June 15, 2012, 10:21:32 PM
Sal, I'm only saying that out of the 10K visitors to this post, statistically, there has to be at least 1 that think we are nuts

Nah, it's more than one. ;)  Otto Heinz would be proud, though.
viurem lliures o morirem

suitekids

Quote from: George4741 on June 16, 2012, 01:56:08 PM
I should mention that the cavity (cavity?) in my 114H main gear is 12.446mm deep.

I just woke up and feel fresh, so I'll double check my figures.  Then, I will put in an order to Dawn for seven #59 carbontex washers.  And since this topic subject is supposed to be about "Penn 113h Reel/Tank", I'll also order seven #39 carbontex for my 113H. ;D

I might as well plug my original topic here that led up to this. 

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=4333.msg32818#msg32818

Quote from: Bryan Young on June 15, 2012, 10:21:32 PM
Sal, I'm only saying that out of the 10K visitors to this post, statistically, there has to be at least 1 that think we are nuts

Nah, it's more than one. ;)

Interesting, I just measured my stock gear 114h cavity, it's 11.44mm, and the depth on my Accurate 6/0 gear 11.26mm

George4741

Alrightee, an update on my measurements (I'm thinking clearly, now ;)
    my 114H main gear is 11.557mm deep
    eared metal washers are 1.143mm thick
    keyed metals are 1.676mm thick 
    carbontex are .5mm thick

According to my calculations, a 1+7 drag stack is possible an a 114H. 
viurem lliures o morirem

Alto Mare

Dan, I'll bet if you check the opposite side you'll get a different reading ;D
My measurements are close to yours, around 11.40mm for the accurate and the same for penn. Yes I do have the accurate main gear, I was so desperate that I just purchased it...no pinion  :'(.
I believe George had one too many last night ;D, or our calipers need to be calibrated :-\
By the way, I just checked my 16/0 main gear and it's exactly double. Hey, we could do a "Super Tank" with 1+14 ;D.
The possibilities are endless ;).

suitekids

lol, a 14 disc drag pack, wow!! I guess I better make a jig to alter the the carbontex, the wheel are turning already ???

spirt10

Quote from: Alto Mare on June 11, 2012, 08:28:12 PM
Very nice Duane, thank you!
Lets hope that Jeff realizes what he has here, this could be a great thing for him and us as well.

I recieved an email from Jeff today concerning adding the double dog mod to his next run of frames. Here is his reply. Sounds promising.

JVARIANCE

Hi Duane,

Pretty cool mod.

The side plates are currently machined to work with left handed models. However, demand for lh models are very small and may just add it to the next Gen kits. I will look into it.

Sorry for the late reply and thanks for the suggestion!

broadway

That would be sweet... look out tiburon!  ;)