Foolish question from an old fool !

Started by Crow, September 10, 2020, 12:02:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crow

Some time back, aways, there was a "fisherman's cap" found, and posted.....had a Penn logo, and was shown in several of the old Penn catalogs. A white, canvas cap...I think with a black bill, and maybe a "chin strap". Anyway...if any of you "old timers" remember seeing the African Queen, Humphrey Bogart (playing Charlie Alnutt, in the movie) wore a similar cap (no Penn logo...just lots of dirt !), I'd like to find a cap similar to it. I've done some "internet looking", and have seen a jillion caps...but none quite the same. Does anybody know "what kind" of cap it is called ?  i.e.  painter's cap? fisherman's cap? News boy's cap ?  I've searched till I'm bleary eyed, and, if anyone could point me in the right direction, I'd sure appreciate it !.....Thanks !
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Wompus Cat

HAMBURG Wool Merchant Fleet Sailor Mariner Cap Skipper Breton Trawler Yachtsman Captains Seaman Boatswain Dragger Barge Prinz Heinrich Hat
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

Midway Tommy

Kind of a cross between a Yacht Captains Hat & a modified Kepi
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

oc1

It is sort of a flats cap but without the flap on back.  If you tuck the flap up into the hat it looks similar. That style seems to be making a comeback and replacing some of the trucker caps.  A decade ago they were considered dorky.

Funny how tiny changes in dimension can give you such a different look.
-steve

Crow

I followed that link (above), and found a place that makes caps, and hats, that are "copies" of "movie hats".....neat stuff, but WAY pricey  :o
Closest thing I've found is a "Legionaire's Hat", and, as Steve said, they have a neck flap , that could be "tucked', or just removed :-\.
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

philaroman

I kinda' did think that was a beat-up, old-style FFL Kepi w/ flaps gone,
rather than a Sailor's Cap...  even though he's a boat captain

Maxed Out

We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Crow