Ultra light baitcasting/conventional/spincasting options?

Started by xjchad, June 09, 2020, 08:48:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

happyhooker

Quote from: xjchad on June 10, 2020, 01:24:38 AM
This is great guys, keep 'em coming!

I like the look of the Heddons!

A spincast with worm drive!?
If anyone has one of those, please let me know!

I believe the reel involved is a Spin Pal 100.

Frank

happyhooker

Another neat old spincaster is the Eagle Claw EC-88B.  Has convertible R/L retrieve, metal body and gears, and a band-type drag (reminds me of the bands on old car automatic transmissions).  Ball bearings on the main gear.  Unfortunately, the bell is plastic, but it has a metal push button (not seen too often on spincasters).

Frank

xjchad

Frank,
Thanks!  I just found the info on the Heddon 100.  It looks very interesting!!
That Eagle Claw is neat too!
Husband, Father, Fisherman

wfjord

As spincasters go, the old Garcia Spincast 170 is a good one and they still make them.  I have a bass fishing buddy from FL who has a small stash of old ones . He's used them for many decades and refuses to change.  I did get him to buy a new Penn 430SS way back when, but he won't give up on his Garcia 170.

swede 53

Frank is right on about the Daiwa 206 rl.I have one on a SB microlite rod that is just right for those small brushy trout streams where you don't have a lot of room and there are still a lot of them to be found.  I still will carry along a Johnson spincast on the boat if I know I could be dealing with a windy day and don't want to deal with backlashes when tossing senkos or lighter baits.Even after Johnson went to the graphite body the USA models had steel gears but even those models were not as compact as the Daiwa,if you've got bigger hands it's not an issue.                                                                                                                         

oc1

Quote from: wfjord on June 10, 2020, 09:52:19 PM
As spincasters go, the old Garcia Spincast 170 is a good one and they still make them. 
Those suckers get 25 IPT.  Not bad for a spincast.
-steve

mo65

Quote from: oc1 on June 11, 2020, 06:43:16 AM
As spincasters go, the old Garcia Spincast 170 is a good one and they still make them. 
-steve

I've used those 170s for years...great reels. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

wfjord

Quote from: mo65 on June 11, 2020, 01:51:43 PM
Quote from: oc1 on June 11, 2020, 06:43:16 AM
-steve

I've used those 170s for years...great reels. 8)

The old ones had the gold Abumatic 170 emblem on top of the gear housing.  Most all of the used ones I've seen had the boat rash to the right of the thumb release.  I snatched the photo below off ebay

xjchad

Thanks Woody, those do look nice.
Is that picture from the future!?!?

Gfish

The Zebco 33's started gettin all plastic-ey awhile back, I'd stay away from non-vintage ones. Always thought the Abumatic 120, with that unique drag system, was a well made spincaster. I've a Diawa Goldcast that's pretty nice, bout 9 yrs. old, it's gotta an ossilation system for the spool(good line lay=good cast-ability).
One bad thing about spincasters is lack of spool-line volume. And, it could just be me, but relative to spinners, spincasters seem to twist the line more. I have a micro-size Shimano Chronarch baitcaster that does great with 1/8-3/8 oz. lures, but it was pretty expensive and comes with all the cast control goodies. I'd consider Oc1-Steve's baitcaster suggestions. The fun part would be tweaking one of those to max out the cast-ability.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

foakes

When you settle on a reel, Chad --

Let me know before you go out and buy anything -- I have probably multiple hundreds of these old spin-casters -- and could just send you one at N/C..

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

xjchad

Quote from: foakes on June 11, 2020, 08:47:05 PM
When you settle on a reel, Chad --

Let me know before you go out and buy anything -- I have probably multiple hundreds of these old spin-casters -- and could just send you one at N/C..

Best,

Fred

Thank you Fred, you're always so generous!
I'll let you know  :)

thorhammer

Ryobi V-mag I.  Tiny casting reel with v-spool. Should cast 6 lb nicely. I can easily hide it in my hand.

xjchad

Quote from: thorhammer on June 16, 2020, 04:58:45 PM
Ryobi V-mag I.  Tiny casting reel with v-spool. Should cast 6 lb nicely. I can easily hide it in my hand.

Thanks John!  I've looked for one of those for awhile with no luck.  Hiding one in your hand is not saying much for you LOL, you could probably palm a 4/0  ;D

oc1

John, you are the one who turned me on to the V-Mag 3.  It is one of my favorite reel now.  Is there really a smaller V-Mag 1, or was that a typo?
-steve