Ultra light baitcasting/conventional/spincasting options?

Started by xjchad, June 09, 2020, 08:48:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xjchad

Hi guys,
What conventional/baitcasting/spincasting options are out there for ultra light fishing? Something that can use 2-6lb. test mono for trout and panfish.

I'm open to push-button, round, oval, levelwind, conventional, etc. Just curious what older (vintage) options are out there that might be fun to fish. Basically anything that mounts on top of the rod and is light weight and can use light line.

I'm specifically looking for older reels that have good quality, long lasting parts like we enjoy in our larger Penn's, etc.

(I realize that there is a new fad in ultra light fishing that uses ultra light, lowpro, baitcasting reels that are very modern and expensive. That's NOT what I'm looking for.)

I ask partly because I'm looking for one and partly to spark conversation and learn more from ya'll ;D

Thanks in advance!
Husband, Father, Fisherman

steelfish

zup chad, I asked a question about something similar and this was the recomedations from Steve

Quote from: oc1 on April 13, 2020, 07:50:51 PM
Quote from: steelfish on April 13, 2020, 07:27:37 PM
missing a good baitcasting reel for light lures

Alex, if you want to go the vintage route consider a Shakespeare Tournament Freespool 1740 or Langley Target 740.  The earliest 1740's are almost a hundred years old now.  The 740's are about sixty.  They will cast a light lure every bit as well, or better, than a brand new modern reel, they're lighter than a modern reel and require less maintenance than a modern reel when used in salt water.
-steve

it came from this thread
The Baja Guy

happyhooker

Couple of thoughts on the oft pooh-poohed spincast reel, in response to your question.

The Daiwa Silvercast reels, and in this case, the 206 RL, are considered decent older spincasters.  Originally made in Japan (have Seiko name on), and later made in Korea.  I think the Japan ones may be a little better.  Metal body & bell, and can crank from either side (convertible).  Decent drag.  The "06" in the 206 reflects the typical line weight for the reel, in this case, 6 lb. test.  Get one of the older ones, not the new ones.

If you want something US made, give a thought to the old Johnson Century 100 (100A or 100B).  Another one with metal body and bell.  Strong metal gearing and decent drags, although the drag setting is a little finicky.  Also convertible with L or R hand retrieve.  Beautiful green color.

Frank

Swami805

For some reason I got into Heddon spincast a little. Most were pretty junky but the 185 is a decently put together little reel. I think I put a 4/0 size carbontex washer in it. Haven't really fished it but it cranks nice and the drag is buttery. I even built a rod for it, haha.  I need to fish more.
Some of the Diawa ones look nice. Almost dove into that hole too but I was distracted but some other shiny object.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Swami805

Here's the 4 heddons I have. The 185 is nice with some good features, the rest are pretty much junk

thorhammer

Daiwa minicast. i have one maybe forty years old and still kicking, and you can get them in a nice little travel kit with four piece rod.

happyhooker

Quote from: Swami805 on June 09, 2020, 11:37:40 PM
Here's the 4 heddons I have. The 185 is nice with some good features, the rest are pretty much junk

Speaking of Heddon spincast reels:

There was at least one made that had a worm drive gear system.  Yeah, in a spincast reel.  I forget the model number, but could run it down if someone else doesn't recall it.

There were also some Heddon 'Scandia" reels--made in Sweden.  Might be decent, if you can find one, but I have no 1st hand experience.

Frank

xjchad

This is great guys, keep 'em coming!

I like the look of the Heddons!

A spincast with worm drive!?
If anyone has one of those, please let me know!

thorhammer

xjchad

Quote from: Swami805 on June 09, 2020, 11:37:40 PM

Thanks for the heads up Sheridan!

PS- When are you going to pick up your double-drag Newell gears?

Swami805

Today I hope!!  Been putting in a kitchen in our rental, wife's keeping me on my toes

Keta

Parts are not easy to find, they are no longer made and if you can find them used they are not cheep but I use Shimano Calcutta 51's for kokanee and can cast 1/4 ounce ok, 1/2 ounce real well.  I also use them for steelhead so they re a tough little reel.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

mo65

Hi Chad,
   An old Zebco 33 is hard to beat for light duty work. The older ones have a bait clicker which is most handy for light catfish/carping. It will cast fine with a variety of lines from 6lb. to 17lb. Did you ever find a good ultralight spinning reel? I still have that South Bend Classic 930...open to trade offers...still looking for a decent 112H.
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

xjchad

Quote from: Swami805 on June 10, 2020, 11:39:16 AM
Today I hope!!  Been putting in a kitchen in our rental, wife's keeping me on my toes

Haha, well she is your number one customer! 
Look forward to seeing you soon Sheridan!

Quote from: Keta on June 10, 2020, 01:24:27 PM
Parts are not easy to find, they are no longer made and if you can find them used they are not cheep but I use Shimano Calcutta 51's for kokanee and can cast 1/4 ounce ok, 1/2 ounce real well.  I also use them for steelhead so they re a tough little reel.

Thanks Lee, those do look like sweet little reels, I'll keep my eyes open!

Quote from: mo65 on June 10, 2020, 01:58:49 PM
Hi Chad,
   An old Zebco 33 is hard to beat for light duty work. The older ones have a bait clicker which is most handy for light catfish/carping. It will cast fine with a variety of lines from 6lb. to 17lb. Did you ever find a good ultralight spinning reel? I still have that South Bend Classic 930...open to trade offers...still looking for a decent 112H.

Mo,
I'll check out the 33's, thanks!  A bait clicker would be awesome!
I dug up a Strength Spin Mitey that I had in a bin.  It's disassembled and soaking in degreaser now.  I have it at work for a lunch break project.
Is that a 930 or 925 that you have?
I would like one since I love my 935, but I don't have any 112H's available for trade.  I'll let you know if I come across one though!

Thanks guys, I love all these suggestions!!

mo65

Quote from: xjchad on June 10, 2020, 02:59:48 PM
Mo,
I'll check out the 33's, thanks!  A bait clicker would be awesome!

Is that a 930 or 925 that you have?

They made a zillion models of 33 Chad, some have the clicker and some don't. Just shop around. That SB Classic is a 930...that I bought advertised as a 925...and it's badged 935! Sounds like the story from a used car dealer! It's very close in size to the 925.
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~