Ultra light baitcasting/conventional/spincasting options?

Started by xjchad, June 09, 2020, 08:48:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thorhammer

Yep, I will post a pic.. i have one needing a drag star.

swede 53

After posting on here the other day I remembered that I had a Spin Pal 100 I had picked up with a couple other reels awhile back so when I got home tonight I took it apart.It was all metal but the thumb button,made in the USA and it has a worm drive with a brass pinion but then the bad news,probably the most important component,the drive gear is nylon or some kind of plastic pressed on a steel shaft,probably ok for what this reel was intended for but you don't always hook up with what you are fishing for.Still a neat little reel.                                                                                                                                                                                                                     

swede 53

Finished taking apart the Spin Pal this morning and after cleaning the parts found that the pinion gear is actually steel and that the plastic drive gear is cracked,another case of a cheap part ruining an otherwise well built reel,was going to try it out on some crappies but it's heading for the shelf.

xjchad

Quote from: swede 53 on June 17, 2020, 03:37:13 PM
            Finished taking apart the Spin Pal this morning and after cleaning the parts found that the pinion gear is actually steel and that the plastic drive gear is cracked,another case of a cheap part ruining an otherwise well built reel,was going to try it out on some crappies but it's heading for the shelf.

Well that's unfortunate!
Husband, Father, Fisherman

Midway Tommy

I wouldn't consider most of those listed as ultra light. IMHO they're light. A lot of people like the Daiwa mini cast, old and new. There's also the Zebco Omega 171 and they now make a Model 33 mini.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

mo65

Tom is right...these are mostly light class reels. I have a few really sweet Zebco spincasters, the Omega Z03 is small enough to be considered light class, but is constructed entirely of metal and heavier than most large spincasters. The other, a 733 Bill Dance Gold is really light and fast, but big as a bus. I use them for trout and bass fishing...certain situations.
   I can't finds pics, but I also use a 600 combo for bluegill, and an 80's era 33 rigged with a tandem dropper for perch/crappie. These combos are all very reliable...as I've never had to work on any of them! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

oc1

The only combo I ever bought new was an Omega Triggerspin (underhung spincast) on a little 4.5 ft rod.  Pretty darn small and was ideal for getting into woodland ponds with a lot of brush and bluegills.  Very reliable too until, one day, it got a whiff of saltwater and that's all she wrote.
-steve

philaroman

Quote from: thorhammer on June 10, 2020, 12:06:15 AM
Daiwa minicast. i have one maybe forty years old and still kicking, and you can get them in a nice little travel kit with four piece rod.

OK, here's something interesting -- dug out my little Olympet 1000:
seems like a hefty, sturdy little bugger of the Minicast ilk -- 5.4 oz. / 98 yds. 4#
mine appears to be the most rudimentary version: A/R always on -- no switch
guessing the Olympic is older, but who knows who copied whom?
doubt the innards are as good as Daiwa, but who knows?
will take a peek inside, soon enough, but don't have Daiwa to compare
photos are same model on eBay; mine's nicer w/ beat-up box; his has drag "wheel-star" flipped
last photo is 1000DX w/ AR switch & "wheel-star" correct side up

happyhooker

Quote from: swede 53 on June 17, 2020, 03:37:13 PM

Something like that just leaves you shaking your head at the designer(s).

Frank

tincanary

They don't come cheap, but the Abu 1500C and 2500C are the original ultralight baitcasters.