Main Menu

Penn 113S

Started by john2244, December 15, 2011, 09:05:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

john2244

I recently saw a Penn box labeled "113 S".  I have seen 113 and 113H but never 113S.  Does anyone have info regarding this reel ??
Thanks,
John

redsetta

G'day John,
It may be one of the 113 wire-lining 'specials', similar to the HSP.
Rob or Sal might have a better idea though.
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Norcal Pescador

Maybe an anniversary "S"pecial like the 500-S. ??? ???

Dom, Sal?
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

john2244

I just purchased 2 of these Penn 113 S reels.  It looks like a normal Penn 4/0 to me with black side plates. The side plate reads Penn Senator 4/0, it is the box that reads 113S 4/0.  List price on the box is $27.50 and it was marked down to $16.50.
The reels are NEW IN THE BOX with a Catalog No. 22, lube, and factory tissue wrapping. The box is a dark green color.  I am guessing these reels may date back into the 60's or 70's.  I will post some pics when I figure out how to do so.  Still looking for info regarding what the "S" is all about.
Thanks for your help.
John

wcarah

I am inclined to believe the "S" designation relates to the spool construction.  On e-bay there is a cast bronze spool for a Penn 4/0 reel for sale.  The part number is 29M-113S.  I've attached a photo.

john2244

Wcarah,

Thank you, I am sure you are right.

John

alantani

phew!  these spools are $73.50 at mysticparts.com!

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

day0ne

I was on an electric reel site and they stated that a 113S held 50 yds more line than a 113H or HL. Beats me
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

john2244

For information here is a pic of the Penn 113 S box.  This is a Penn 113 4/0 reel with black side plates and a brass/chrome spool. Does anyone have an idea as to the age of these reels ???
John

Alto Mare

Those are 25th anniversary boxes, making those reels as old as me ;D, almost 53 years old. the boxes where introduced in the 50's. That's also when Penn replaced the 3-piece spool with a solid cast-metal spool
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Normslanding

Correct "S" for solid. We always tried to get The solid spool for any reel we would put a transmission on. When having a big fish on a plastic spool they blew up from line pressure. Fishing a tight drag with 60 to 80lb. the three piece metal spool would give out. The silver solder would not hold. In the sixty's the deep water Rockcod fishing had the same problem. The 9/0, 10/0,and 12/0 reels started out with three piece spools. They then went to the solid brass spool. The disadvantage was castability. Soon Newell changed that as aluminum was the way to go.

Bryan Young

Very nice reels.  Wow, you got a deal.  $16.50 each?  Selling?  I'd pay you mfg. listed price of $27.50 for each reel.  lol

I wonder what does "NON-STRIP GEARS" implied in the marketing of these reels.

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Alto Mare

Quote from: Normslanding on December 20, 2011, 12:31:17 PM
Correct "S" for solid. We always tried to get The solid spool for any reel we would put a transmission on. When having a big fish on a plastic spool they blew up from line pressure. Fishing a tight drag with 60 to 80lb. the three piece metal spool would give out. The silver solder would not hold. In the sixty's the deep water Rockcod fishing had the same problem. The 9/0, 10/0,and 12/0 reels started out with three piece spools. They then went to the solid brass spool. The disadvantage was castability. Soon Newell changed that as aluminum was the way to go.
Yep! The coplete line of Senators started with the 3-piece spool, from the 110 to the 118 ( 1/0 to 16/0 ).
Some of the old fashioned fishermen here in the NE still like to use these one-piece cast spools.... I'm one of them.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

john2244

Bryan,

I think they sold for $16.50 when they were new, I paid $50.00 each for them a few days ago.

John

Bryan Young

Wow, considering the boxes and condition of the reels, that's a great deal.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D