To many washers or?

Started by AllenW, December 17, 2011, 01:36:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AllenW

I ordered a some drag washers from SmoothDrag and the kit for the 6500C (reel number 84-2   86) has two washers in it, one larger one that I find on the reel and one smaller one, I have the reel apart and can not find where it goes???

I'm assuming some of the 6500 reels use two washers but not mine?

Great service btw, thanks.

Al

Keta

My ABU reels all have more washers but I'd guess the small one goes under the main gear.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Nessie Hunter

I saw your picture on the other thread....

Looks like the old UNder MAin Gear (smaller) Drag washer is stuck to bottom of Main Gear?

Give it a look and see, May have to pry it off and clean the gear up.... 
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

AllenW

Thanks, hate to keep asking questions, but do appreciate the responses.

Here's a set of pictures on what I have.

Looks like both the stock washers are larger, and the smaller one from Smooth has a slightly smaller center hole than what would fit on the gear on either side.

Al

Keta

Just a semi educated guess but I'd say the narrow one is for an older reel like my 5000c.  Leave the wide one in like in the photo below, put the small one under the main gear, re assemble the reel and see if your drag is adequate.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Paleoreelist

The best day to go fishing is any day that ends in a Y.

AllenW

OK, looks like you want me to take the smaller of the two Smooth washers and place where the larger one went in the picture below?

Then leave the washer in the other side and put the larger smooth washer away for someday down the road?  :)
Thanks much.

Keta

The drag washer in the gear is the proper washer, the smaller washer on the bottom right goes under the main gear and the bottom left washer is not needed.

Mark Twain

AllenW

Thanks all, I'm a little confused as to why when there were two larger washers needed, they send one large and one small,  and I don't use the large one they sent and reuse one of the originals?

Add the smaller one needs it's inner hole enlarged to fit, I think I'll just install the original washers and let it go at that.

Al

Keta

I saw the foot numbers in your other thread. Ignore my last post, you weren't the only one confused here.

Here is the schematic  for your reel (6500C 84-2),
http://www.abugarcia.com/sites/default/files/schematics/6500C%2084-2.PDF

The washer on the lower left goes under the main gear, the washer in the main gear is right and the small washer lower right gets put away for later when working on a newer reel.

Mark Twain

alantani

that's it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Dominick

Hey Lee:  you just like making those red X's.  ;D
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Keta

Mark Twain

Paleoreelist

Would also fit older 79-**-** 6500c ,  but the other way around...I think?
The best day to go fishing is any day that ends in a Y.

redsetta

QuoteHey Lee:  you just like making those red X's.  ;D
Yup

;D ;D
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer