A tale of two spools

Started by Strewth, December 18, 2011, 03:32:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Strewth

This one has me stumped. I have two "identical" spools for a Curado 200E7 filled with the same line to the same depth. Both cast fine, but one makes the reel run really very rough (geary) on the retrieve. I have checked:

1. The straightness of the shaft (by rolling it on a flat surface).
2. The diameter of the shaft using calipers
3. Both ends of the shaft for roughness or burrs.
4. That the pin to engage the pinion gear is centred on the shaft.
5. The length of the shaft
6. The distance from the end of the shaft to the spool lip.
7. The spool lip for dents.

Any ideas?

alantani

some part of the spool is rubbing against some part of the frame.  check for rub marks after running the rough reel for a while. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

inhotpursuit

Have you swapped spools on the reels to rule out reel or spool problem? or do you have 1 reel and 2 spools

Strewth

Quote from: inhotpursuit on December 18, 2011, 05:13:43 AM
Have you swapped spools on the reels to rule out reel or spool problem? or do you have 1 reel and 2 spools

2 spools one reel

Strewth

Quote from: alantani on December 18, 2011, 04:45:02 AM
some part of the spool is rubbing against some part of the frame.  check for rub marks after running the rough reel for a while. 

Also looked for this, but will look again. But the spool casts fine - same casting performance as the "good" one - so this seems to rule out this problem.

inhotpursuit

if you knew someone who has the same reel  you could check the spool in the other reel my guess is the shaft is out of allignment, make a cradle and spin the spool to see if it wobbles

Reels Man

Sounds to me like the spool shaft pin may not be seating completely in the pinion gear for some reason on the rough spool. May check that visually just to make sure. If the spool shaft pin is not seating completely inside the pinion gear it'll push the pinion gear further toward the drive gear causing noise.
Russell's Reel Service - Service, Repair & Parts for all brands of fishin' reels.

Nessie Hunter

Check the distance from End of spool shaft to PIN and see if there is a difference in the two spools???
Could be diff model spool and PIN is set further back or forward????
Wild guess!!!
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

Strewth

Have checked the alignment, seating in the pinion gear and distance to pin form end of shaft. All seem OK. Must be a bent shaft where the imperfection is too small to see by eye?

inhotpursuit

the pinion bearing disengages in cast mode,a small missalignment of the shaft would not be noticed because the outer spool bearings take the casting load, but as soon as the clutch engages the pinion bearing would be noticably rough if the shaft was missaligned even the slightest bit,have you removed and repacked the pinion bearing? also try make a cradle out of a small plastic cup notched for the shaft to see if there is a wobble