Penn Squall LD60 SQLD60LD

Started by Brian A, December 18, 2011, 07:43:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian A

anyone got info, comment on this reel?  aloha

alantani

i just took a look at the schematic.  it actually has a bearing sleeve.  you could probably tear this down, do the standard bearing service and you'd have a great reel.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Brian A

Mahalo Alan!  I will be picking up a pair to shorecast with when they are in stock!  will post comments and opinions.

Tunanorth

Alan, Captain James Smith of the "California Dawn" out of Berkeley Marina is using these reels as his "loaners" for his deep water shark trips just inside the Golden Gate.
He favors a "reverse topshot", with around 100 yards of 50-pound mono on the bottom, and 300 yards of 80-pound braid on top.
No doubt you saw some of the catches of big sixgills up to 250 pounds he got this fall.
Interestingly, Captain Smith uses a 16VSX as his own "personal" reel!     

Bryan Young

Shorecaster Brian Aguedan is also looking at this very reel.  If you want to service these reel, but don't want to try to service them yourself alone, I'll be in Honolulu in March.  I'm sure I can find at least one guy that has TSI301 on Oahu.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

alantani

jonathan just brought in a squall lever drag.  it's been ages since i've done a full tutorial.  with help from bryan, jonathan, roger and jim, i am almost caught up.  it's an odd feeling to not have 50 reels in line. 

Jimmer

Sounds like it might be time to go fishing Alan !
What - me worry?   A.E.Neumann

alantani

could, but there is nothing to fish for right now....   :-[

Brian A

Quote from: Bryan Young on January 25, 2012, 03:38:59 AM
Shorecaster Brian Aguedan is also looking at this very reel.  If you want to service these reel, but don't want to try to service them yourself alone, I'll be in Honolulu in March.  I'm sure I can find at least one guy that has TSI301 on Oahu.

Howzit braddah Bryan.  dat shorecastah is me!  this reel is my first LD so gonna look through some rebuild tutorials to get an idea before i open um up.  For what you get, i think this is a great value.  I wish had one squall ld80!   ;D :o

oh, BTW. i stay in WA right now.  no shorecasting but hopefully keep my cast form soon at the nearby lake or field.

ALOHA

Bryan Young

Ok, I feel sheepish.  If you ever come down to San Jose area, be sure to drop by.  What you doing in WA?

Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

alantani

brian, stop here first for a beer.  bryan doesn't drink.   ;D

Brian A

If i'm ever in socal I'll definitely make attempts to hang out guys.  I'm in WA for at least 3 years with my family.  I'm working, she's going to school for a career change. 

I wish i could get a batson surf rod (cause the plant is here in WA i believe) to build and cast with but where i'm at, all baitcast and fly in the shops.  So gonna have pops mail up one of my beater ulua rods to throw lead with. 

I got a chance to hold and small kine play with this real.  Gonna open um up when i get a chance, which i never know when.  (2 boys: 5y and 6m  ;D)  The pic with the cheap tape measure is deceiving.  the spool from inner edge to opposite inner edge is ~2 1/2".  If the insides turn out looking good.  I'll save up for another one.  use one with 60 mono, and one with 80-100lb ~100yds braid backing and 80 mono on top.  It's rated for 60lb mono - 330yds.  anyone know have a guess for how much 80 mono this spool can take?  ALOHA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYp8Q-pI7L8&feature=youtu.be

Bryan Young

If you are in Vancouver, WA area, that's the home of G. Loomis, Talon, and a few other rod manufacturers.  A good place to go is Angler's Workshop.  Good stuff, and they got everything you need to build rods.

endorphin

Hi,
Do you guys have any result on the reel? How are they performing and with which reel do they compare?
Sunny regards,
Jeroen

coolcamera

I know this post is for the 60 series, but I have 2 40 series and I enjoy them. The only thing I will mention is after turning off the 2 position clicker, it is sometimes hard to go turn it off completely. May be just a break in thing. Great otherwise.