Boat tool box - show us yours

Started by Gobi King, October 06, 2020, 03:43:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jurelometer

Carbon steel hoooks will be harder to cut, the higher quality hooks will be the hardest.  Stainless hooks are usually not made from a grade that can be hardened ( most hardenable stainless can rust).

I read a tip somewhere about using a vacuum sealer to bag up infrequently used tools like bolt cutters to prevent corrosion (esp in saltwater).   Other than the risk of sucking up toxic lubricant molecules into your food saver, it seems like a neat idea.

In terms of tools/repair items, a section of cord suitable for temporarily lashing broken clasps, antenna mounts, broken rope start on the kicker, etc, is nice.  I knew a guy that used some cord to repair a broken portable fuel tank to fuel line connector.  Took a couple years before he got around to fixing it (not recommended  :( ).   Whatever it takes on your boat to seal up a broken through-hull valve or hose?  Also electrical always  seems to be an issue.  Wondering what folks pack.  There are those new push style wire nuts that might be useful for emergency repairs to get back to the dock, maybe some extra wire, and waterproof tape, and some of those mini wiring pliers?  Stuff to reseat battery terminals, and/or one of those fancy new portable power packs for an emergency start?

Amother idea if you are not already doing some thing like this: If you play the airplane pilot training game of asking yourself "what would I do right now if..."  while on the water, it can help you come up with what tools and supplies are most important for the most likely or dangerous problem scenarios, and you will also have some action plans filed away somewhere in your brain, so you won't have to figure out everything on the fly when the doodoo hits the fan.

-J