Utopian Reel

Started by Pollack, December 23, 2011, 09:20:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pollack

Hi Guys,
I am after some help regarding a new reel. I am after an upgrade, currently I use the shimano charter specials, which I really like. They all have had the drags upgraded by Dawn at Smoothdrag (brilliant service, only took a couple of days to reach the UK), and the handles as well. The type of fishing that I use them for is drifting over wreaks in the English channel. I tend to use artificials and a 10oz lead coupled with 30lb braid. This style of fishing entails almost constant winding. The reel that I have been looking for would ultimately have a lever drag and level wind. I love the look of the Accurate BX2 500N but it has no level wind, is there anything out there that has it all and is better than the charter special (for this type of fishing). I had a Shimano Tyrnos 8 2 speed which was lovely apart from no level wind and the noise, but the 2 speed gearing was great. Any help would be appreciated. A Very Merry Christmas to everyone (Great site full of good info)

Paleoreelist

How about a Omoto GTR T30L 2?
The best day to go fishing is any day that ends in a Y.

Pollack

Hi,
Thanks for the suggestion, but all of the reels in that series are too large for my requirements, i'm just wondering if custom build might be my answer?

Dominick

Pollack:  I'm a Penn fan.  So I would go for a Penn GTI 320LD.  This reel will exceed your expectations and keep within your parameters.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Keta

I haven't seen them yet but the Penn Fathom FTH15LW or FTH20LW and  the ABU Alphamr ALPHMR16 or ALPHMR20  might be something to consider if you need level wind.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Jimmer

Have you looked at okuma 10, 15 or 20 Solterra lever drags with level wind? They can be had fairly cheap new on ebay, Come standard with CF drag washer. far more robust than a crter special imho. - Jimmer
What - me worry?   A.E.Neumann

alantani

penn 320 gt2 with straight 50# spectra and a big handle grip.  the 4:1 gear ratio should work.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Tunanorth

If looking for a performance upgrade from the iconic Penn 320/330 GT series, the new Penn Fathom levelwind series [sizes 15 through 60] have metal sideplates and frames [vs. graphite on GT's], along with 30 pounds of drag [vs. 12-16 pounds on GT's].
They cost a bit more, ranging from $199 to $219 depending on size.
There is also a "non-levelwind" Fathom series.