I've been eyeballing this guy for some time, finally bought it

Started by tincanary, December 03, 2020, 01:08:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tincanary

I'm a round reel nut, always very appreciative of their classic looks and craftsmanship.  For the better part of a year, I was eyeballing a Japanese market Daiwa Millionaire CT SV but couldn't bring myself to drop that kind of coin.  I waited and waited, looked for something used at a price I was willing to pay, nope, nothing.  The last one I watched slip away on eBay for $350 but it was more than I was willing to pay, so I played the long game and waited.  A friend tipped me off that one of the Japanese reel shops had them for a price I couldn't refuse as part of a Christmas sale, 50% off.  Wow.  I got one brand new for substantially less than even a used model.  What an outstanding piece of Japanese craftsmanship.  This guy is built like a fine watch.  I'm hoping to get it on the water before hard water season starts up.  This weekend will be its maiden voyage to the canals of Lake St Clair for perch, gills, and crappies.  I can't wait.  She's a beaut.

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

nelz

Hey, that's not fair that you don't tell us where that sale is!  Yeah, it's a beauty, what improvements does it have over the older Millionaires?  I too am a fan of "round reels" of that variety.  Love my Shrapnel! Miss my Luna!

tincanary

Quote from: nelz on December 03, 2020, 01:52:24 PM
Hey, that's not fair that you don't tell us where that sale is!  Yeah, it's a beauty, what improvements does it have over the older Millionaires?  I too am a fan of "round reels" of that variety.  Love my Shrapnel! Miss my Luna!

This one is a lot like the Luna, disengaging level wind, one piece machined aluminum frame, and the Magforce braking system.  The beauty of this reel is its ability to cast lighter baits.  It's a 100 size reel with a 70 size spool and shines in the 1/8 to 3/8 range.  The spool holds about 100yd of 6lb mono or 20lb braid, more of a finesse piece. 

MarkT

Nice score!  I have an old Millionaire cvx253 and a cvz300.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

tincanary

Quote from: MarkT on December 03, 2020, 02:22:37 PM
Nice score!  I have an old Millionaire cvx253 and a cvz300.

I love the CVZ and CVX series.  This one is very similar in size to a CVZ103, just with a more narrow and shallow spool.  She weighs a bit over 7oz.

Porthos

Nice reel. Sounds like she's going to be just fishing FW...but are you still going to give it the Alan Tani pre-service maintenance?

tincanary

Quote from: Porthos on December 03, 2020, 04:22:22 PM
Nice reel. Sounds like she's going to be just fishing FW...but are you still going to give it the Alan Tani pre-service maintenance?

Absolutely.  I'm going to flush the spool bearings and hit them with TSI 321, Cal's purple on the drag stack, PTFE on the gears, TSI 321 on the level wind.  That'll be a project for either this evening or tomorrow night, taking it on her maiden voyage Saturday.

mo65

Quote from: tincanary on December 03, 2020, 04:25:30 PM
Quote from: Porthos on December 03, 2020, 04:22:22 PM

Absolutely.  I'm going to flush the spool bearings and hit them with TSI 321, Cal's purple on the drag stack, PTFE on the gears, TSI 321 on the level wind.  That'll be a project for either this evening or tomorrow night, taking it on her maiden voyage Saturday.

Way to go Tincanary! Cudos for swapping out the lubes for your personal preferences. I'd be that guy who just took it fishing...and then came home mumbling about how I should have serviced it first...LOL! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

oc1

Man, that's a handsome reel.  70 size spool?  Does that make it the smallest round reel they have ever offered?
Thanks for showing.
-steve

tincanary

Quote from: oc1 on December 03, 2020, 08:19:06 PM
Man, that's a handsome reel.  70 size spool?  Does that make it the smallest round reel they have ever offered?
Thanks for showing.
-steve

Kind of.  The reel body itself is the same size as the CV-Z 103, but what Daiwa did was add spacers to accept a smaller 30mm diameter spool instead of their standard 34mm.  The spool is very light in weight and capable of casting about 2.5g to 3g.  It's the same spool used in the Alphas CT and Steez CT.  I also own the Alphas CT and it too is a fantastic reel.  I usually use these little guys for trout fishing the headwaters with a 4'10" L power rod.  The short rod helps with accuracy and is also much easier to handle in the bush than a 7'+ bull whip.  I fish a lot of hard baits, like the 1/16, 1/8, and 3/16 Rapala Countdown and YoZuri Pins Minnow.

Here's the spool that's in this guy.

tincanary

For comparison purposes, a 100 size Daiwa spool vs the 70.  The red spool in these pictures is from a Fuego CT/Tatula CT 100.

oc1

Thank you for making me want one of those even though I'll never be able to afford it.   :)
-s

Ron Jones

I have a US version of that reel and the one smaller. Love them.
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"