Penn casting reels handle knob replacement

Started by beachbob, December 23, 2020, 02:08:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

beachbob

I have a few of the newer Penn casting reels - Rival 15 and Squall II 15 - and I just don't like those football shaped handle knobs.  Would like to replace these knobs with a round knob, I've seen some in metal but unsure if they'd work for these Penn reels.  Anyone done this and where to get the knobs?
revolving spool reels and long rods ~ longbows and feathered shafts ~ guitars that sing and growl

JasonGotaProblem

Amazon and eBay are full of them, I've bought ajd installed more than a handful of the "gomexus" knobs and have no complaints. but for every penn reel that I've changed, installation requires drilling. If you have a steady hand its not so bad. If not, use a drill press.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Gfish

I have replaced my-too-small-football shaped knobs with round EVA padded ones and 2 that are round and solid metal. Pro Challenger in the For Sale section has some good'ens at a pretty good price. If Allen C. don't have any, others in that section may. And if it was me, ebay would be the next choice. Those should include everything you need except the tools.

You'll probably have to drill-out the old knob (the brass rivet) by using a drill bit very slightly smaller than the new knob's screw. Let us know how it proceeds...

Yeah, I have 2 Gomexus knobs from the bay, good stuff.

Also, interested in your opinions on the Rival and Squall II. I've been checking into Penn Graphite conventionals lately. There's alot of series/models, more  than I ever thought.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

oc1

Can't you just grind off the brass head on the back of the handle blade and yank the knob off??.  The brass head stands proud of the handle blade so it is easy to get at it with a dremel. 
-steve

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: oc1 on December 23, 2020, 07:07:27 AM
Can't you just grind off the brass head on the back of the handle blade and yank the knob off??.  The brass head stands proud of the handle blade so it is easy to get at it with a dremel. 
-steve
I've done both, IMO drilling is faster and cleaner than the dremel. Not that the washer doesn't cover scratches beautifully. But the knob pin on my penn SSV seemed like steel, and it cost me a few drill bits. That only came off with the diamond engraving bit and some elbow grease.

Its a pain but it's so worth it.

Look for things on the knob you can unscrew, and just start unscrewing. You may luck out and not need to drill.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

beachbob

Quote from: Gfish on December 23, 2020, 02:55:49 AM
I have replaced my-too-small-football shaped knobs with round EVA padded ones and 2 that are round and solid metal. Pro Challenger in the For Sale section has some good'ens at a pretty good price. If Allen C. don't have any, others in that section may. And if it was me, ebay would be the next choice. Those should include everything you need except the tools.

You'll probably have to drill-out the old knob (the brass rivet) by using a drill bit very slightly smaller than the new knob's screw. Let us know how it proceeds...

Yeah, I have 2 Gomexus knobs from the bay, good stuff.

Also, interested in your opinions on the Rival and Squall II. I've been checking into Penn Graphite conventionals lately. There's alot of series/models, more  than ever thought.

Thanx, I questioned Black Pearl on what EVA knobs to get for the Penns I have.

As to the Penn reels in question, the Squall II 15 is on its way to me and I've had the Rival 15 since the Fall.

I think the Rival is a steal for its typical $50 price tag.  I immediately pulled of the level wind as that silly thing is a major distance brake for surf fishing.  I did leave the level wind gearing on the off spool clicker side. 

There is *NO* braking system with Penn Rival, none, nada, not even centrifugal spool brakes.  The Penn website states "mechanical brakes" and when I queried Penn they said the website is an error and the braking system is yer THUMB.  LOL!

However, loaded with 16# mono the reel casts Great, no backlashing, there is some line fluffing as the spool unloads and I rarely needed to thumb it until splashdown.  Initial grass casting tests using a simple overhead Hatteras pendulum swing went past 80 yards using a cheap 10' Fiblink rod with a 4oz payload, and on a 12' Fiblink I can routinely cast past 95 yards.  Not too shabby.  A 50 buck reel and a 65 buck rod for good surf fishing.  Nice.

The Squall II 15 is a robust reel with adjustable mag braking and will go on an LDX Breakaway 13' rod.  I expect that should allow for well over 125 yard casts.  I'll see come better weather.  :)   

Thanx guys!

revolving spool reels and long rods ~ longbows and feathered shafts ~ guitars that sing and growl

Gfish

Quote from: oc1 on December 23, 2020, 07:07:27 AM
-steve

Best not to remove chrome finish, then cover with a washer—-corrosion city. I did 2 Penn 6/0-9/0 handle/knob upgrades and somehow managed not to touch the chrome plating left inside the handle hole, by using a slightly too small bit. The left-over brass pulled right out.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

handi2

If you want the round black knobs or the EVA foam knobs i will gladly send you one. Its very easy to drill out because the shaft is brass. I use a drill press to do the 100 or so I have installed for customer's.

These knobs are from fishing comfort. The big EBAY seller. I get a 35% discount on all of his products.

Just PM me your address and which one or ones you want.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL