Sometimes...Forgotten in an old Tackle Box

Started by foakes, January 03, 2021, 07:49:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

Was looking through an old UMCO tackle box that I purchased maybe 20 years back.

As I opened it up and expanded the trays — I found this little gem in one of the lower tray lure compartments.

I must have overlooked it years ago.

An old Leatherman — absolutely never used and pristine — not even a scratch on the tool or the leather belt pouch.

Great quality tool out of Portland, Oregon.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

pjstevko

That's a great find! The original tools produced in Portland are high quality and impossible to find especially in that condition. It'll last a lifetime....

akfish

I have that same Leatherman. I took it on my first trip to Alaska in 1988 and it's been with me ever since. I take it on my long range trips knowing that it'll come in handy sometime during the trip. Last year I realized I didn't have my special tool to attach Avet rod clamps. The big screwdriver head on my Leatherman worked fine.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

gstours

Another testimonial from AK, :)  twenty some years a go I went deer hunting by boat to some islands and in the off loading process was cutting some twines holding small parcels to the gunnels,  racing the outgoing tide, portaging, somehow I lost this same Leatherman.   It was gone and not noticed for a while.
  Ten years later when a auxillary fuel tank was removed it was discovered and kissed.   After a little TLC its still working fine even with tanning marks and some freckles on the blade.   These are very well made little tools.   Every fisherperson would benefit having one in the tacklebox or on the belt if your going lite. ;)

Crow

Nice find, Fred !  Years ago (when I was still young, and foolish !) I left one of those "possum belly" UMCO tackle boxes sit in the boat, while I walked up to get the truck, and trailer. Busy day, at the ramp, and, you can guess what happened! When I got back...the boat was there....but NOT the tackle box ! Lots of lures, and tackle were "gone', as well....but also, one of those "Leatherman" tools ! I never did replace the tackle box...which was a pretty "spendy" thing, at that time of my life, but, I DID replace the tool...still have it, as well as a "life lesson " ....don't leave things sit where they might grow legs !
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Ron Jones

I found one in the bilge of the engine room of the Georgia when I had just got into the Navy (99 maybe.) It had arc marks on it from sparky not following the rules, sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do to keep the nuclear rock hot.

Thing stayed on my belt through every boat ride I ever did until I lost it from the seat bag on my bike in Pearl. Still looking for a replacement, have to find a brave soul and 440VAC to make the arc marks.

The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

pjstevko

And they stand by their lifetime warranty!

I found a Leatherman in our equipment yard and it had been run over by a bulldozer and snapped a blade. I picked it up and put in my pocket so it wouldn't damage any tires then forgot about for about a year. I found it cleaning out a toolbox and emailed the company telling them the story and they asked for my address to send me a new one even though I was the "2nd owner". I declined their offer but they insisted and a week later a new one arrived in my mailbox. I ended up giving the new tool to a coworkers 10yrd old son during a local fishing trip. He keeps it in his tacklebox!

Great company who stand behind their products!

whalebreath

Fifteen years ago I found a stash of those in a remote corner of a store where I ran the fishing tackle dept-it turned out my predecessor had a habit of building  little 'stashes' of gear he liked and then as we all know.......out of sight is out of mind.

When I finally got the paperwork back in order (they had been written off ages before) they literally flew off the shelves-I managed to snag one for myself but it rarely leaves my bench I use a Leatherman Juice (also now discontinued) when actively fishing.

oc1

I've never had a Leatherman.  Always had a Gerber.  My favorite Gerber looks very much that Leatherman with all the same blades.  It is so similar that it must have been a knock-off or something in it's day.

After breaking off a couple of blades using them as a crowbar I would buy replacements.  I don't remember them being free, but maybe?

Then the last time I tried to replace them they said that model was discontinued because it did not have locks on the blades and they do not even sell parts.  I tried a new one with the locking blades but it is sort of a nuisance because it is heavier and you may not be able to close it with one hand.  That was in the early 2000's.  I wonder if that style of Leatherman disappeared about the same time?

Not to be outdone, I bought three or four of the old style Gerber off ebay.
-steve

Gfish

It started with a Swiss Army knife. For about 5yrs. we were inseparable. The sissors was kinda cool, as was the plastic toothpick, but never had a use for a wine cork puller. Then I saw the pliers on the Leatherman and that was all she wrote. My last one, a big ol' "Core" had the pliers jaws corrode and break, but I still have the separate half's in my tackle buckets. Now I have the Gerber with the slide-out pliers(just gotta have those pliers) and that goes with me everywhere. What's a man without tools?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

gstours

And one more for Leatherman.  :) Awile back i was standing in our fiberglass bath shower scraping some caulk and accidently dropped my big Leatherman Wave with the blade out ant it stuck in the plywood that was placed in the floor to set my bench on.  Hitting the wood at an angle the weight/inertia of the thing snapped the knife tip off.
  Remembering what was claimed "lifetime warranty"  I was willing to pay the factory for the repair.   They replaced the blade no charge and paid the return shipping.   I would now not have any other brand.   Thanks Leatherman.....  ;)    Just sayin. 

ReelFishingProblems

Ron,

I have a similar leatherman story, but I was the one making the mistake.
I have had the same leatherman since college. I took it with me to Iraq and carried it on me all the time. I was working on a small 3k generator at my outpost and managed to complete the circuit with the darn thing. The spark was hot enough to weld the blade to the frame. Using some other tools I was able to get the blade separated from the frame. Now it's a fun little memory. I'm still not sure how it happened, I'm not a generator mechanic.

Rancanfish

I have that exact weatherman, too. It was on my belt for a lot of years while at work.  Saved me a lot of steps back to the truck for various tools.  Happy to say my pouch is well worn and comfortable.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Swami805

I got one free as part of a promotion from marboro. Used it for years until one of my grandkids dropped it of cabrillo pier in San Pedro. Thought about going in after it but it was too cold. Super handy, I should find another
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Jim Fujitani

I also own a "Leatherman" with a Marlboro brand mark.  Both the tool and the leather case bear the "Marlboro Country Store" marks.  I paid less than $5 for it at a neighborhood garage sale.  Paid less than $5 is because it was part of a package deal. 

I've owned it for over 20 years, been on many fishing trips during that time.  I also own a "Gerber", but the Leatherman has seen a lot more miles.