Steelhead/salmon rods

Started by JasonGotaProblem, February 04, 2021, 03:23:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Benni3

Quote from: philaroman on February 05, 2021, 05:24:11 AM
I think I was asking about a lighter Suzuki, while back & ksong mentioned
another Black Hole model w/ similar action & lighter specs. (9'6" or 9' ? )
The 10ft Suzuki line weigh is 10to20lb and the 9.6is 20to30lb but is way underrated,,,,, ;) the difference between my 9wt Thomas & thomas fly rod and the 10ft Suzuki is that is has a fast tip,,,, :D same back bone all the way down the rod,,,,,, ;D

oc1

I don't have many long term relationships, but this has been my sweetheart go-to rod for quite a while now.  For throwing 1/4 oz and 3/8 oz jigs.  It is not a noodle at all and has a lot of backbone.

https://www.lamiglas.com/collections/salmon-steelhead-rod-blanks/products/gp1382ml-g1000-pro-blank-116-steelhead-float-rod?variant=14974622662705

oldmanjoe

I found two sticks that you can have to rebuild  ,one is 8 ft and the other is 9 ft .
yellow stick tip is .170  - butt is .660 - 8 ft
gold stick  has a label  Bayside  marking assoc -modle no 6090fb -9 ft  graphite composite.
  Some pic .
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
" Life " It`s a thinking man`s game
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

JasonGotaProblem

Super cool! I gotta start stocking up on components.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

steelfish

Quote from: oldmanjoe on February 05, 2021, 06:27:38 PM
  I found two sticks that you can have to rebuild  ,one is 8 ft and the other is 9 ft .
yellow stick tip is .170  - butt is .660 - 8 ft
gold stick  has a label  Bayside  marking assoc -modle no 6090fb -9 ft  graphite composite.
  Some pic .

nice move, the ohana on its finest
The Baja Guy

whalebreath

In a similar vein Muskie rods are often underpriced & tough as nails perfect for light tackle inshore bottomfishing.

steelfish

Quote from: whalebreath on February 07, 2021, 04:14:56 AM
In a similar vein Muskie rods are often underpriced & tough as nails perfect for light tackle inshore bottomfishing.

dont blame me but I also use a musky rod  as an inshore rod, I actually liked it that much that I rebuilt a factory one with my personal touch as you can see in the link.

https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=22222.0

My Go to reel for the "Gander Mountain" 7'6" Musky rod is a Calcutta 400TE which is also considered a great Musky Reel, so a combo that could fish in the river for Musky can fish inshore for big King Mackarel ( or big spanish mackarel)

2nd pic same rod but already rebuilt
The Baja Guy

Breadfan

I just ordered this Lami on Sunday, made in USA and 93.00 on sale with a coupon code. They are still just 125.00 right now until they are gone. They should work perfect for surf fishing with the moderate action! Figured what the heck?

https://www.lamiglas.com/collections/salmon-steelhead-rod-blanks/products/xcc1502xh-126-2pc-20-40lb-4-20oz-troll-2-8oz-cast?variant=5291637145641

Rancanfish

I am so uncoordinated with long rods that I look like a chimpanzee jumpin' around.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: Rancanfish on February 12, 2021, 06:34:10 PM
I am so uncoordinated with long rods that I look like a chimpanzee jumpin' around.
The good news is I doubt the fish can see you.

Dominick

I have about a couple thousand dollars worth of stuff specifically for salmon.  I haven't caught a salmon in 2 years.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

oc1

Quote from: Breadfan on February 12, 2021, 04:40:06 PM
I just ordered this Lami on Sunday, made in USA and 93.00 on sale with a coupon code. They are still just 125.00 right now until they are gone. They should work perfect for surf fishing with the moderate action! Figured what the heck?

https://www.lamiglas.com/collections/salmon-steelhead-rod-blanks/products/xcc1502xh-126-2pc-20-40lb-4-20oz-troll-2-8oz-cast?variant=5291637145641
Looks like the perfect choice and at a steal to boot.
-s

SteveL

Two maybe three bait & tackles in my little corner of nowhere (south Georgia) sell salmon/steelhead rods, Shimano I think.   I would guess that people down here are using them for speckled trout.

oc1

It's a shame that a whole class of rods were named after two species. 

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: oc1 on February 26, 2021, 08:59:03 AM
It's a shame that a whole class of rods were named after two species. 
Indeed. And I hate salmon. Almost turns me off to the whole idea. Almost.