Tiny guides for a spinning rod

Started by JasonGotaProblem, February 25, 2021, 09:04:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

philaroman

keep super glue away from blank -- it's acetone-based (or ?_ketone)
may damage blank -- not carbon/glass fibers, themselves, but whatever epoxy holds them together
not so much the tiny drop used, but the future soak for removal

oc1

Sacrificial orthodontic rubber bands or O-ring

JasonGotaProblem

Thanks for the heads up re: super glue. Back to the drawing board on that one.  For reference, when I say tiny, i mean:
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Jeri

Very narrow strips of masking tape, works a dream, without having to re-invent the wheel. Just don't cover the first part of the foot, once the thread is 5 or 6 turns up the foot, gently remove the masking tape strip. Fine alignment adjusting as necessary after the guide is fully and tightly bound.

philaroman

curious: all my Fuji's are actually stamped "Fuji"
are they maintaining brand pride & counterfeit prevention w/ #4 micro?

Quote from: oc1 on March 01, 2021, 08:15:06 PM
Sacrificial orthodontic rubber bands or O-ring

break open dead lighters for tiny O-rings, if you just need a few
(also right size to keep metal dart shafts from self-unscrewing)

oldmanjoe

;D  A dragon fly would have troubles landing on this size  guide .   If they are branding this size , i need a microscope to see it  .   ::)
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

JasonGotaProblem

Surprisingly no fuji stamp. I got em from mudhole so I doubt they're fake, see Fred's 20-20 rule. The other sizes in the set are stamped.

Maybe they just didn't brand it because they don't wanna take the blame?

steelfish

Quote from: Jeri on March 01, 2021, 10:46:22 PM
Very narrow strips of masking tape, works a dream, without having to re-invent the wheel. Just don't cover the first part of the foot, once the thread is 5 or 6 turns up the foot, gently remove the masking tape strip. Fine alignment adjusting as necessary after the guide is fully and tightly bound.

thats what I use, the smaller the guide the thinner the masking tape strip, tried different methods but always got back to the goodol masking tape strip
The Baja Guy

thrasher

I wouldn't use SG either, not because I'm worried about the blank from a drop of glue but more that it's nice to be able to do a final alignment before epoxy. Some guys use tip top hot glue but that is a pain and I always wind up going back to masking tape. Put a 1.5" or so strip on a piece of glass and cut small sliver, or buy some pinstriping tape from automotive store. A thin slice of surgical tubing or rubber bands from a orthodontist

Jeri

Quote from: philaroman on March 01, 2021, 11:12:02 PM
curious: all my Fuji's are actually stamped "Fuji"
are they maintaining brand pride & counterfeit prevention w/ #4 micro?

Fuji were for a long time the only company marking their products, so basically you could tell the genuine product from copies, still the case even on the smallest of guides. Surprising the number of manufacturers that incorrectly claim their rods have Fuji guides.

Midway Tommy

Every Fuji guide I have ever purchased has had their stamp on it. If your eyes are like mine you'll need a jeweler's loop to see it, especially on the smaller examples. It almost seems like they made it even smaller over the last few years.  ::) Or maybe then, again, it's just me.  :D
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: Midway Tommy on March 02, 2021, 07:00:54 PM
Every Fuji guide I have ever purchased has had their stamp on it. If your eyes are like mine you'll need a jeweler's loop to see it, especially on the smaller examples. It almost seems like they made it even smaller over the last few years.  ::) Or maybe then, again, it's just me.  :D
Ive got better than 20/20. I can often focus on things my phone camera cannot focus on. Size 6 guides have the stamp. To the best of my observation these size 4's do not have a stamp. Frankly there's no place to put it.

steelfish

Quote from: JasonGotaPenn on March 02, 2021, 07:15:18 PM

Ive got better than 20/20. I can often focus on things my phone camera cannot focus on.

seems that you havent reached 40 yo mark yet.
The Baja Guy

SteveL

Quote from: Midway Tommy on March 02, 2021, 07:00:54 PM

I think they are also making them more blurry and fuzzy looking than they used to.   :(

philaroman

maybe modern micros are so minimalist, that stamping the logo would diminish structural integrity