Tiny guides for a spinning rod

Started by JasonGotaProblem, February 25, 2021, 09:04:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: oldmanjoe on March 04, 2021, 11:41:09 PM
   Just put one coat on for Sunday , after that then deal with it ..
   By now a lot of us are remembering  that time that we know we doing something not quite right ,but we are going to do anyway.....      ::)
Well put. I'm fairly self aware. Of the bad decisions I've made in life this is among the least permanent. Figure worst case scenario I gotta redo it.

I've been building (and using) this thing in my head for the past 2 months. I'm already planning the next (re)build. I just want this one finished.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

steelfish

Quote from: JasonGotaPenn on March 04, 2021, 11:55:27 PM
........ I'm already planning the next (re)build. I just want this one finished.

oh oh, down to the rabbit hole he goes !!
The Baja Guy

Midway Tommy

Quote from: JasonGotaPenn on March 04, 2021, 10:17:35 PM

My understanding is that the intent with this stuff is to glob it on and wait a few moments to start spinning, so the excess will run down and you remove with a dry brush. I want it to soak in fully but I don't want any more weight than I need.

That should depend on the speed of your drying motor. If it's slow like mine it will start to concentrate in one spot and drip if you glob it on too heavy. I've never been successful trying to do it that way. For me, I get better results applying, smoothing and tapering each wrap and then move on to the next one.   
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

philaroman

Quote from: steelfish on March 04, 2021, 09:30:55 PM
...specially if you apply any heat to the epoxy by alcohol torch, heatgun, etc

cheap me was thinking of making a warmer for epoxy and such, out of a busted drip coffee-maker
I'd estimate the hot-plate temp. doesn't get above 95*C (200*F ballpark)
probably much lower, w/ less surface contact...  lower, still, suspended above hot-plate
is that a good temp. range?

oc1

Quote from: Midway Tommy on March 05, 2021, 02:25:18 AM
That should depend on the speed of your drying motor. If it's slow like mine it will start to concentrate in one spot and drip if you glob it on too heavy. I've never been successful trying to do it that way. For me, I get better results applying, smoothing and tapering each wrap and then move on to the next one.   

What is the ideal speed of a dryer.  I have 1 rpm and 5 rpm gearmotors.

oldmanjoe

The 5 rpm will be better one .
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Jeri

Personally, I prefer to get a reasonable amount of resin on a whipping and guide, sufficient to know that the resin has worked its way under the foot/feet fully, to act as a bonding agent with the blank. The gentle heat to allow any trapped air to escape, and to assist with removing excess resin. It is a balance between too much and too little.

When we have to repair any guides on a rod that we have built, I always feel very satisfied when I see a full bed of resin under the guide.

Rivverrat

Quote from: Jeri on March 05, 2021, 06:15:37 AM

... When we have to repair any guides on a rod that we have built, I always feel very satisfied when I see a full bed of resin under the guide.

You should. Took me a while to get where I was comfortable that I was achieving this... Jeff

JasonGotaProblem

Done. Spun it all night last night, was still a bit tacky this morning. Left it out in the sun a few hours now it's rock hard.

Visually i love it as is. At least with regard to the quantity of epoxy used. I globbed it on, warmed it up to help it soak in, and wiped off the excess. I'll go fish it a bit and decide if i feel like it needs to be stronger.

I. Am. So. Freaking. Excited!
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Midway Tommy

Pretty cool that you like it & excited about using it.  8)That's all that really matters. If you think you're excited now wait until you hook into your first fish with it!   ;D
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

oc1

Good going Jason.  It looks great.

Donnyboat

Thanks Jason, it looks good, glad your happy, did you place any thread preserver on the cork, I like to place one coat on the cork, dont take long to dry, hopefully some one else might like to comment about that, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

pjstevko

Looks great Jason!!!!!

I'd love to start wrapping rods but I'm too much of a perfectionist and all I would be able to see is my mistakes instead of looking at the total project......

steelfish

Quote from: pjstevko on March 05, 2021, 08:07:54 PM
Looks great Jason!!!!!
...... and all I would be able to see is my mistakes instead of looking at the total project......

thats me.   :-\

until many rodsmither folks told me that's kind of normal, you see your "mistakes" because you made them and know where they are but 90% of the persons wont see them or even find them; next day I started to LIKE my rods

@Jason, that looks pretty cool, looks like you got what you wanted on the threads, just enough epoxy to keep the thread secure.
Im with Tommy , wait till you catch your first fish with that rod, it will feel like the best fishing rod in the world.

The Baja Guy

oldmanjoe

:)         We all start from some were , and learn from making mistakes ,and we will make mistakes until  we die , so jump in the rabbit hole .       ::)
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare