Cradle fishing rod

Started by oldmanjoe, March 05, 2021, 05:31:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldmanjoe

??? 50 foot stitch and glue  ?       i have done a bunch of kneel down racing boats with stitch  and glues . 10 -12 foot long
  Any thing after 16 foot i like real stringers and screws .      I like to smash big waves ..  I also like down east style boats now that the body got old .
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

thorhammer

thats some gorgeous stuff but above my pay grade....I like fully blown hulls; I have an Edgewater and a McKee.

Ron Jones

Quote from: oldmanjoe on March 05, 2021, 10:23:42 PM
   ??? 50 foot stitch and glue  ?       i have done a bunch of kneel down racing boats with stitch  and glues . 10 -12 foot long
   Any thing after 16 foot i like real stringers and screws .      I like to smash big waves ..  I also like down east style boats now that the body got old .

Sam has been doing this for a long time. He has some amazing 50+ foot trawlers and several of his 60 foot class ultra rich designs have been done in Korea running at well over 30 kts. I like frame construction as a method, but stitch and glue is as strong as anything else when done by professionals.

A big one for us old guys:

https://devlinboat.com/oysta-62/

The Man

Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

thorhammer

Read Sam's link......takes me back to reading Papa and Zane. No lever drags or braid allowed on that boat!!!! fantastic!

Wompus Cat

I am cashin in my Cans for one of these !
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

Ron Jones

Wampus Cat, looks hard to fish off of!

Back to the cradle, I have a 180 I might try this on. I want to start vacuum bagging and this is a perfect first project.

Ronald Jones
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

oldmanjoe

I have one made in ply wood and two more in glue / clamp mode .
Maybe tomorrow i can straighten some boo for a lay up.
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

oldmanjoe

I got a little side tracked .  I started to punch a hole in the grip for the stick  , and started thinking that if i go to .800 ,i could sleeve it and use some other  sticks already made .         I was going to be too close .
       I had another piece wood so i did the lay out and cut it up , making the grip thicker so i can sleeve it .
  The sleeve is just a old reel seat with hood removed and shorten a little .
I will make a few more sticks with different actions

The smaller grip is at .600 hole size , i just need to find a sleeve for it to finish making  a stick for it .

redsetta

Great stuff Joe - really enjoying this one.
Thanks for taking us along.
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

oldmanjoe

;D  Part of a old wind chime tube was used for the smaller sleeve .600  for the smaller grip.
  Shaped ,scraped and sanded two sticks today .    Was also able to glue up pieces to make the spickets  and cut them to size .       I also started the bamboo glue up.       Picture of the two ply wood sticks

oldmanjoe

A little update  , Stained the handle and stick with cherry stain .   Taped on some roller guides and load test .
  Just finished wrapping thread

Gfish

Dude! That is mad skills, old school cool!
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

oldmanjoe

;D   It`s just something to do to keep the fingers  nimble .     I like to try different shapes and thickness on the sticks for the actions

Donnyboat

Looks great Joe, thanks for showing us, plenty of good ideas there, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !