Cradle fishing rod

Started by oldmanjoe, March 05, 2021, 05:31:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldmanjoe

There is something about a cradle rod  that i find eye appealing .  I wanted one that was made for a smaller reel .
 I was looking at a block of wood from a skid and though why not try to make one from wood .       Made a few marks on the block , chucked it up spun a rough shape .     I decided to use a Ocean City , bay city reel for this project .

Took the reel apart and used the trim rings to help lay out holes to mount it and set the center lines .
  Did a little cutting on the table saw to hog out the spool hole and finish with a sanding drum .
  I added a piece of mahogany on the bottom for strength  , it was a little to thin there .

After a test fit i made a few more marks , i wanted to cut a little more closer to the reel .
   I had some extra bars to replace the reel seat .
       Now i just got to make stick for it .
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

oc1

Donnyboat

Nice Joe very interesting, thanks for posting, what length still are you thinking of using, looking forward to the end result, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Gobi King

Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

oldmanjoe

Thank you for the complements .   I am looking for about 6-6/6 foot total length, will see what happens .  

Steve    I still like that rod you made and the bent butts...        ??? What are we making next ? :D
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

JasonGotaProblem

Beautiful, unique, and creative; as usual.

My question, and this is about this style of handle in general, is how much strength is lost by not having the blank continue all the way through the handle? If it were a blade the term is 'full tang' and anything other than that condition is derided as a sign of lesser quality. Now Im not implying your creation is of lesser quality. I know you do good work. I'm just very curious about the loss of structural integrity from the blank not continuing through.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

thorhammer

That's cooler than cool!

My 0.01 on blank thru handle: pistol grip rods were around for decades as the option for light bait casting. If you were to stay in period with the blank, and Joe is entirely likely to fab one from boo or wood as opposed to whippy glas of the time, I doubt one would have issue if staying under 20 or 15 lb mono (for shock absorbance). High speed wahoo trolling? No. pulling a vintage Bomber or Cisco for 'eyes or pike- certainly.

I say that having seen the amount of force to break a wooden butt that wasnt blank-thru, while trolling and hanging a snag with 36 lb lead core with heavy drag.

oldmanjoe

John nailed it ..    pretty much the stick ended in the left hand and the right hand held the slip on handle .
   This is a scaled down version for the bay .   The stick will be a combination of bamboo and wood .
  Mono and drag settings are key to keep this from breaking along with a flexible stick . 

Lunker Larry

Pretty cool. I've never seen anything like that.
You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.
Do vegans feel the same when mowing the lawn?

Ron Jones

That will be a lot of fun to talk about on the boat, well done indeed. I really don't see any issues with strength, but if it was a concern for a larger application, laminating three boards together and then turning and some judicious application of fiberglass would make it bulletproof.

The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

thorhammer

Ron raises a good point- what he just described is also known as a boat hull...plenty strong enough for a rod insert. I have something along those lines up my sleeve actually....we'll see how it goes when the parts arrive.

Midway Tommy

Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Gfish

Dude!!! Looks like you're continuing to have fun being creative. If I had the time, tools and most all, the know-how...
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Ron Jones

Quote from: thorhammer on March 05, 2021, 06:50:23 PM
Ron raises a good point- what he just described is also known as a boat hull...plenty strong enough for a rod insert. I have something along those lines up my sleeve actually....we'll see how it goes when the parts arrive.

You mean something like this?

https://devlinboat.com/kingfisher-33/

Sam and I talk often about him building me something big enough for Alison to be comfortable on. Probably just under 50 feet. I like what stitch and glue makes, but to much goop for me. I'm looking at starting a 14 foot Spira mini Panga for the local lakes. Nothing but wood, glue, screws and paint.

The Man

Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"