Strange looking washer

Started by Alto Mare, January 09, 2012, 11:32:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

Alan, I'm sure that you've seen it all...reels, that is ;D. Did you or anyone else ever come across anything like this washer?

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Dominick

Hey look at our guy Sal.  Even his washers have dimples ;D.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Norcal Pescador

Run, Sal, run!! It's the dreaded "Pox" washer! ;D ;D

What did it come out of?
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Alto Mare

Rob, it came out of a 113H that had ss gears. these were the (3) thick washers  configuration, the opposite side of that washer is  smooth. I think that someone was looking for some serious drag on that reel :-\. I'm wondering if Alan has ever seen one..I never did.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Bryan Young

Probably created less drag or jerky drag.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Norcal Pescador

Looks like it would chew up the fiber washers. I would think a jerky drag once it made dents or grooves in the fiber. Very strange. ???
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

redsetta

QuoteRun, Sal, run!! It's the dreaded "Pox" washer!
Classic.  ;D ;D
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

alantani

ok, sal, you got me on this one.  i have NEVER seen one of these before!   ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Alto Mare

Alan, since you never seen one it has to be unique.
Rob, the washers look great, no marks anywere these are the older thick washers. They did have some white grease all over them  that I never seen before. Also, the reel was spinning nice and smooth :-\

broadway

Sal,

Does it look like the dimples were machine or hand hammered?  ... it looks hand done by the unorthodox staggering pattern.  Was it an original washer that someone modified? That washer (IMHO) wouldn't work as well due to the lack of surface area, (agree with Rob) would cause extra wear in specific areas, and also raise the height of your stack.  Would you be able to get a 5:1 stack with it in there? I think I'd change it out, but definitely hang on to it, or maybe test it out to see what might happen.
Dom

Keta

How were they formed, is there corresponding indents on the back side like it was struck with a punch?  They don't look like spot welds.

What is the part number of the part I pointed to in the photo below?  That part and a second dog and I will have my double dog, 4:1, narrow 113H finished, thanks for the help and parts.

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Alto Mare

Quote from: Keta on January 11, 2012, 04:22:34 PM
How were they formed, is there corresponding indents on the back side like it was struck with a punch?  They don't look like spot welds.

What is the part number of the part I pointed to in the photo below?  That part and a second dog and I will have my double dog, 4:1, narrow 113H finished, thanks for the help and parts.

Lee, I don't know on how they were formed, if you take a closer look it appears the washers were cut from a sheet.The back side is flush and you're right it doesn't look like a spot weld. No numbers on part that you're pointing to, this is a standard spacer that comes on the plates with easy access, like the plate I sent you. I'm glad that the SALEE (SAl & Lee) reel is complete, put it to work and give us the report. Later. Sal

Alto Mare

Lee, I'm looking for the number on that spacer but can't find it. I'm pretty sure that the part number is 9-113H, you need to mention that the spacer  is for a reel with the easy access drag feature. If you're having a tough time spotting one, just let me know and I'll send you one of mine.

Alto Mare

Dom, I just realized that I didn't answer your questions. Yes the washer looks like it was machined and it doesn't appear to be an original washer that was modified. If this washer is used the same way as I found it, with the thick drags, I believe that it would actually work better and also that it would create more drag...Those older thick drags are idestructible. In the easy access drag plates, you would get away with 6 or 7 washers. The additional washers won't give you more drag but they could be used as spacers, the only problem you will have with these plates is that the main gear would rub if the washer under it is thick, I never had that problem. Dom, I think I hit the jackpot with this unique washer. Great ! Now I can really retire :-\

broadway

Thanks for answering my questions.  Maybe you should go play the lotto because you are the only one to ever see one on this site (so far). We already knew you were one in a million, but now even your washers are! ;D
I am anticipating a max drag report on that crazy looking washer ;)
PS- I have had that rubbing problem before with the old plates, but I wound up keeping those reels with the original drags and washers. 
Dom