Finished up a Few eBay Specials

Started by foakes, May 10, 2021, 09:10:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

Had a member send in (5) DQ reels that he had purchased used.

(2) 110's, (2) 220's, and a 330.

Needed to use them for himself — as well as guests at the cabin.

Typical of these is dried up 45 year old grease, bent parts, worn pieces, paint worn off, and other normal issues.

Each got a full disassembly, inspection, Ultra-Sonic Cleaning using (3) types of cleaners, rinsing, drying, re-inspection of parts, burnishing of all interior and exterior parts, replacement of any worn or broken parts, painting the exteriors, reassembly, lube, tune, adjust, and micro-adjust all functions.

This member also wanted a couple of Mitchell ultra-lite 308's — so I built those from as many new parts as possible out of the bins.

All (7) reels are as smooth as sewing machines — and should last another 40 years, if serviced every few seasons.

Ready to ship out.

Best, Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Gobi King

Looks better than when they were new! Thanks for sharing.
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

kjdunne

Fred, you're beyond reel technician, mechanic, repairman, etc...you're an artist and magician!  Probably better than new.

Kal

Ruffy

Mate,
Mind blowing attention to detail/workmanship as usual Fred! That man will be in fishing Nirvana when they return, and they will certainly be different beasts then what he had after years of dried up grease, wear and tear. Thanks for sharing!

Cheers,
Andrew

Bryan Young

Better than new. Amazing work Fred
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Donnyboat

I bet he will get a shock, when he, feels how smooth they are, nice work Fred, thanks for showing them, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Tiddlerbasher

Crow

Good work, Fred...I feel sorry for the fish !
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

mo65

Not many products out there that have someone so skilled at restoring and maintaining them. So many folks have had Fred come to the rescue with parts and service that just can't be obtained anywhere else. Thanks for all you do buddy! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

sabaman1

Beautiful work Fred. The Lord has really blessed you with your talents!
JIM

foakes

It is kind of corny, I guess —

However, to me, it is very satisfying restoring a quality vintage reel — knowing that the angler or their friends and family will be able to enjoy it for another few decades — without breaking the bank — or resorting to buying a new mostly plastic miracle marvel reel from Asia every few years.

These spinners, and others like them — will be more effective, capable, trustworthy, and reliable — then current new reels costing 5 times as much.

And, they have a certain nostalgia about them — that is pleasing to those who understand the difference between solid engineered reels vs. plastic punched out mass produced reels with pot metal components.

A fishing reel is just a tool — but a quality reel — in the proper hands — also becomes a friend for life.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Breadfan

Quote from: foakes on May 11, 2021, 03:20:06 PM

Not corny! Most all of my reels are over 40 years old, I fish them regularly. I only have one new reel in my 4 rod/reel spread when I go surf fishing. People come up to me on the beach all the time and they always comment on how cool my old school reels look. I think you are doing a great service in keeping these old reels alive and I hope you are passing your knowledge down so it continues. You have a good gig goin, keep it up!

sharkman

thorhammer

Quote from: Breadfan on May 11, 2021, 06:28:01 PM
Quote from: foakes on May 11, 2021, 03:20:06 PM

Not corny! Most all of my reels are over 40 years old, I fish them regularly. I only have one new reel in my 4 rod/reel spread when I go surf fishing. People come up to me on the beach all the time and they always comment on how cool my old school reels look. I think you are doing a great service in keeping these old reels alive and I hope you are passing your knowledge down so it continues. You have a good gig goin, keep it up!

The Mitchell's, Z's and Squidder's were good 40 years ago...50....they're just better now with carbon drags.

scrinch

Thanks, Fred, they look great! Can't wait to put them to use this summer.

Right now I'm still in Baltimore awaiting the arrival of our second grandchild. Back in another week if the baby shows up as expected (due date today).

BTW the 330 was my uncle's Sierra trout reel that (I believe) he bought when he was stationed in West Germany in the late 50's.