Keeping track of reels?

Started by buzzawak, June 05, 2021, 11:21:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

buzzawak

Next in the series of reel repair/service questions from me is!

How are you keeping track of the progress of a reel in your workshop?
finished waiting for collection,
waiting on parts to arrive,
waiting on the customer to reply to the email

all the administration stuff

foakes

For most of us, the answers to your questions are different as well as specific to our operation and methods —

Volume of work, room in the shop, our systems, etc..

For me, simple & old school works pretty well —

Reel hits the shop
Inspection
Hang Tag
Tray
Clean, service, repair, restore, etc.
Bag
Send back to client

The reel stays on the tray, the hang tag has all the info needed for me —

Client approval, client information, client contact (phone & email), mailing address, issues to address, parts replaced, labor, etc.

There are many details and other aspects to my system — but I try to keep it simple and all in one place.

Here is a typical scenario, yesterday —

Client sends in 21 reels for restoration, service, repair —

They get a basic diagnosis, are tagged, and an email is sent back to the client with options and recommendations.  Upon approval — notes are made on the tag — and work proceeds.

Photos are taken of the disassembled reel — and a photo of the tag front and back is also taken for reference.

Payment gets sent after the work is completed, reel sent back, and the client is satisfied.

For me, this is a hobby, and half of the time — things are done in trade, barter, friendship, or for payment.

But due to my upbringing and business habits developed over my lifetime — I have tried to develop a system that keeps it on a professional level.  Everyone appreciates it more that way.

Others will have ideas that will work well for you too.

And the best system is the one that works for you —

We/I, cannot afford the wasted time, frustration, or multiple over-laps and back-tracking — by being unorganized or even over-complicated.

The system has to work for you — you cannot afford to work for the system.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

buzzawak

Thanks for the information Fred, love your workshop layout and the use of trays for each reel.
The service tags are a very nice touch, will have to get me some of those.

thorhammer

As Fred says, trays if you have space- I use cookie sheets from Dollar General with a lint free cloth on it to help keep springs from bouncing. If I run out of run and I know it will be a bit, after cleaning i will reassemble the large parts of the frame and plates and bag the innards in a small ziploc, then put all in a larger ziploc, labeled until ready to deal with it.

If I need to get a rod on the bench for work I have to clear space.

John

buzzawak

Quote from: thorhammer on June 06, 2021, 11:26:31 AM
As Fred says, trays if you have space- I use cookie sheets from Dollar General with a lint free cloth on it to help keep springs from bouncing. If I run out of run and I know it will be a bit, after cleaning i will reassemble the large parts of the frame and plates and bag the innards in a small ziploc, then put all in a larger ziploc, labeled until ready to deal with it.
If I need to get a rod on the bench for work I have to clear space.
John

Like you I have been using a ziploc bag for each reel. I make progress notes on a small card that lives in the bag.

smnaguwa

Hi Fred, where do you get the plastic trays? I've looked online and they seem expensive. Enjoyed reading your post. You are really organized.

RowdyW

Your local Burger King & McDonalds have a good supply.   ;D   ;D  ;D     Rudy

foakes

Quote from: smnaguwa on June 06, 2021, 12:18:44 PM
Hi Fred, where do you get the plastic trays? I've looked online and they seem expensive.

And Rudy is right — but don't forget Taco Bell!  If you walk real fast — you can have all you need.  😄😄😄

However — restaurant supply stores, Smart & Final, and tons of online sources have these.  

$1.50 to $3 each — and mine have seen heavy use for over 20 years after I graduated from using egg cartons, baggies, and ice cube trays — with no signs of wearing out.

Also, use the plastic lids from containers for small parts during the disassembly, cleaning, and reassembly process.  But keep everything on the tray.

Tommy taught me this — and it is super helpful, as well as efficient.

The trays can be easily cleaned with a paper towel and a little lacquer thinner.  I do this with my 36 trays about once every (6) months.

And the last thing — get bright or light colored trays — the dark brown or black ones make small parts difficult to see — at least for me.

I am ready for another dozen or so — because the wife also uses them for little projects or pet food floor protectors — and they slowly get re-purposed.

A dozen are only around $20 - $25.

To trick people into thinking you know what you are doing — a little money needs to be spent — but not much.

The little touches are important — as well as usefully efficient.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

RowdyW

The ones I have are 18X14 in bright orange. I use them working on reels while watching tv. The bigger ones balance better on your knees.  :D  They also hold more food.  ;D

philaroman

ask kids to give you a heads-up when they get new trays in school
get the old ones from school dumpster ;)

Midway Tommy

Quote from: philaroman on June 06, 2021, 08:58:49 PM
ask kids to give you a heads-up when they get new trays in school
get the old ones from school dumpster ;)

New nickname for Phil   :o;D Dumpster Diver aRoman.  :D :D
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

philaroman

fieldbattle-tested...  culled for survivors
if you need 50, might be worth a dive

JasonGotaProblem

Additionally if you take those trays to a nice empty parking lot, put them on the ground and drive the rear wheels of a FWD car onto them and pull up the e-brake, you can go for one heck of a fun ride. Especially if the ground is a bit wet.  Just mind the streetlights, cuz you're gonna be sliding. Its like doing regular e-brake slides, minus the tire wear.

Hypothetically speaking, of course...
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

buzzawak

Warning dad joke ahead: This topic has gone a s-tray  :D

philaroman