Lightening Strike

Started by Lunker Larry, July 08, 2021, 05:39:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lunker Larry

This may make you reconsider fishing that "hot bite" that tends to occur just before a storm.
Have your sound on.

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=929579627467262&id=100012457002743

You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.
Do vegans feel the same when mowing the lawn?

philaroman

NICE!!!  was expecting standard carbon rod turned into broom/wig

PacRat

I've been in the lightning protection industry for over forty years. We got real excited when we first saw this but it was quickly debunked by others. They insist that this was an underwater explosives detonation.
With that said; be very careful on (or even near) the water during electric storms. In the flat topography a fisherman with a rod is a very likely target for lightning. I knew a woman in New Mexico who was killed near a small pond. Her rod was likely the trigger mechanism.
Every lightning event is a competition and you want to limit your exposure.
Stay safe
-Mike

Midway Tommy

Quote from: PacRat on July 08, 2021, 05:53:37 PM
I've been in the lightning protection industry for over forty years. We got real excited when we first saw this but it was quickly debunked by others. They insist that this was an underwater explosives detonation.
With that said; be very careful on (or even near) the water during electric storms. In the flat topography a fisherman with a rod is a very likely target for lightning. I knew a woman in New Mexico who was killed near a small pond. Her rod was likely the trigger mechanism.
Every lightning event is a competition and you want to limit your exposure.
Stay safe
-Mike

If I hear thunder, even in the distance, I'm off the lake. It doesn't take a brainiac to realize when you're in a boat on water you're the highest thing for probably a few miles.  ;) I fish in aluminum, a great conductor.  ::)
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

nelz

Ever have your rods start to make a crackling sound as a storm approaches? I did, and I grabbed all my gear and ran like hell! Another time my braid line started to shock my fingers as a storm approached. Again, RUN!

Btw, yeah, that vid looks like it was caused by explosives.

oc1

Being struck by lightening while fishing is an honorable way to die.

Wompus Cat

Quote from: oc1 on July 08, 2021, 08:27:47 PM

It would certainly make a SHOCKING NEWS STORY !
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

philaroman

Quote from: oc1 on July 08, 2021, 08:27:47 PM

what -- interrupt a day of fishing  ???  where's the honor?  ...shoulda' been DUCKING  ;D
I'd rather die peeing in a comfy bed, when I KNOW I CAN FISH NO MORE

PacRat

Nelz, You did the right thing by running. The philosophy is with only one foot on the ground you are less susceptible to ground surges. As you've noticed with your rods; you don't need to be struck directly to suffer the affects of lightning. All soil and all humans have various levels of conductivity.  If you happen to be more conductive than the surface you're standing on, you will become part of the electrical path. There are lots of variables and there's anecdotal evidence that even body electrolytes can play a roll on how much a lightning strike will affect you.
If you get caught in the open it is best to run to the nearest vehicle or dwelling. The conundrum is that topography has a lot to do with your potential to participate. Some people say to lay on the ground but the experts say don't do it as you will have too much direct contact with the soil. I like Tommie's approach about getting off the lake ASAP. If caught in the open with nowhere to run to; one strategy is to crouch as low as you can with one foot atop the other...but it ain't easy. The best advice is to be aware and know where your shelter is.
-Mike

Bill B

A few years back while staying in my Redneck Condo (a 30' trailer  ;D) in Sacramento, Ca, a lighting storm started approaching from the north.  Now being a suburban SoCal native, lightning is a rare occurrence for me, and always fascinating.  So I grabbed a beer and a lawn chair and sat outside to watch the show.....then in a moment of clarity I figured out sitting in a lawn chair, in a trailer park, watching the lighting storm was not a very good idea  8).  So I abandoned the chair for the safer  ??? confines of my metal Redneck Condo......oh did I mention the tornado that came with the storm?   ::)  Well at least I'm here to tell the tail....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Brewcrafter

And for all of us rod geeks out there - that graphite rod...well,,,graphite...kind of a really good conductor...- john

JasonGotaProblem

I think when talking about lightning, people assume that if you get struck, you're dead, end of story. But a large portion of those struck in fact do not die, though some wish they had.

Lingering permanent nerve pain, nerve damage including loss of sensation in extremities, brain damage, organ damage, impotence, 3rd degree burns, and calm people suddenly developing an uncontrollable and permanent anger problem have all been reported.

There's a lot of risks you can be a tough guy about ignoring, and some people really do make a big deal about the risks of some fairly innocuous things. but if you act like nearby lightning is no big deal, to me you sound foolish 100% of the time.

Besides I can't check out just yet. I got more fish to catch first.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

nelz

Totally agree Jason. I've seen the damage lightning can do to houses and trees, and have been near a strike too.

Once, while driving in a storm, all windows closed, it struck somewhere around my car and the blast sounded like someone smashing a beer bottle against my window. It was super-loud and freaked me out! I was convinced it had hit my car, but I found no signs of any damage. Can't even imagine what would have happened if it actually had hit it.

Ron Jones

Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

nelz

Quote from: Ron Jones on July 09, 2021, 05:08:39 PM1.21 Gigawatts!

I've heard it's hotter than the surface of the sun too.  :o