Both of My SX's Drags are SHOT!

Started by Striper Killa, January 16, 2012, 07:19:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Striper Killa

Hey guys!
New to this forum, but not new to reels, or Avets!

I have 5 of them. 2 SX MC, 1 SX, 1LX, And a two tone MXJ MC.

I love these reels, but the ones that i didnt buy new from the store or reliable friends, have bad drags.

We will call them Reel 1 and Reel 2.
Reel 1 is a purple avet sx, very nice condition on the outside, but everything has gone wrong in the reel. Not bad considering i payed $40 for it...

Reel 2 is an Avet SX MC, also mint, but inside, the drag is horrific.

I cant seem to figure out a way to fix the drags on these babies!
Ive tried greasing them, cleaning them, everything! I cant see any saltwater intrusion anywhere, and the reel is packed with grease. Also, the freespool on Reel 1 is very nice, but its making a weird "metal on metal" swooshing kinda sound. IM NOT SURE!

What do I do, where do I start! I will get pics up of whats been done so far. Dont judge me!!!  ;D

Im only 15  :)

thanks!

Gabe

Norcal Pescador

Hi Gabe -
Sorry to hear of your Avet issues. Is the drag weak or jerky and inconsistent? Metal-to-metal sound - could it be from the bearings? And "packed with grease" - maybe too much grease is causing a problem. First try wiping off the excess grease on all surfaces with a rag. There should be just enough to leave a fingerprint behind. Do you know what the drags washers are greased with?
My 2-cents.
Rob
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Dominick

Hey Gabe:  This is the most non-judgmental site on the internet.  You just hang in there and we will work you through it.  Posting pictures will get you the best results.  Post some pictures of the reels before you do anything so we can look at the problem.  Rob is correct as a starter.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

kamuwela

another suggestion look for a schematic to be sure everything goes together how it's supposed to. could the bellville washer's be configured wrong? if the washers are all one way then you have more space and less tension on the drag. just a few thought's. like dom said take a few pic's and we can do a better job helping you, as for judging you no one here will do that to you. i need to say it's nice to see someone your age taking intresest in reel repair. most kid's your age would ask mom for a new one. good job, hope to read more from you in the future.

Striper Killa

Thanks guys!
I know that the belleville washers are correct, and the drag feels as though there are lumps on the Carbon Fiber.

Everything is put together fine, Ive been working with them for a while, and know the parts like the back of my hand.

Pics on their way.

Striper Killa

And btw, the metal on metal sound is gone. Mustve been something else?

redsetta

G'day and welcome Gabe,
The lumpiness may settle down once the drag is under suitable pressure.
Have a read here and see if it sounds familiar: http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=3101.0
Good luck, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Bryan Young

It is also quite possible that the drags have corrosion that under the drag washer that will produce high and low points.  I believe the older models are glued in, and to resolve it, you may need to peel off the old washer, clean and remove corrosion to make flat again, then reglue a new drag washer.

But, before you do that, as Justin indicated, try applying some drag (6-8#s), and it may settle down after a few runs with pressure.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Striper Killa

I dont see how the running thing will make a difference if both of the reels have been fished!!!
Driving me nutz!
They also feel very grimey when you turn the handle, Im thinking about shipping them off to one of you guys, because ive been dealing with them for a few months, but im not gonna lie, this little post has given me the most info so far! thanks guys!

Anyhow i took pics of the inside, and then cleaned ALL of the grease off. The rel still feels funky. This is reel number 2 im talking about now. Seriously thinking of sending it to someoneeeee.

Please excuse my poor pictures...
I would also like a suggestion on what stuff to buy for the future so I can get everything down pat!

stupid phone isnt sending pics, gimme a minute.

Striper Killa

kamuwela

grainy sounds like bearing's to me. can you swap bearing's with one that is working properly? those plastic shields can be removed to clean and lube the bearing's.

Striper Killa

Which bearings should i switch out? and some someone confirm for me which one is the Pinion bearing, because i might just need a new one of those for both of the reels.

Im going to spool the reel up and see what happens when i pull line out.

JGB

Sounds like the right side pinion bearing is shot. You will only feel this when the drag is engaged (lever pushed forward). This is the bearing that the pinion sits in that is in the right side plate. Very common for this to fail in a Avet. Your drags look fine in the pics. FYI it is normal in some reels if the drag feels uneven when turning the handle and holding the spool. The best way to check is to pull line from the reel to confirm it is smooth.
Jim N.

Bryan Young

I agree with Jim.  The drag washer looks fine.  Like others, sounds like the pinion bearing is shot.  You can get them from Avet.  I believe they are $5 each.

See the schematics from Avet for the reels that you got to figure out the parts that we are talking about with part numbers if you need to order anything from Avet.

Don't give up, you are almost there.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Striper Killa

if figured it out guys... its the pinion bearing 100% in both of them... drag washer feels good and everything, but when i thumb the spool and crank, it feels funny, and when i just cranks it feels funny, and if im not mistaken the pinion bearing has all to do with cranking the reel, because the free spool is good also! So now, heres my dilemma! Who wants to sell me 3 pinion bearings! Dont really want to have to deal with avet, and have to put my credit card info in, unless i can just pay pal them or something. I can pp you $12.50 to cover the envelope and everything? If any body has any lying around, let me know?

Thanks

Gabe