Best method for cleaning the green crud off brass plates

Started by MEGA-BITE, January 21, 2012, 11:08:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MEGA-BITE

I'm getting ready to tear down ten of my 320GT reels from last season.  Way time consuming but the price is right.  In the past I manually scraped off the green crud off the plates and levers which never gets all the crud, especially in tight spaces.  This year I'm hoping there's an easier and cleaner way of doing this.  I'm seeing some posts about ultrasonic cleaning. 

What is a good way to clean off the green gunk and get into all the little crevices?  I'm willing to tear down ten reels and throw them all in a batch at once if that's the way to go.

Thanks,

Tom

alantani

welcome, tom!  i go after it with an old greasy toothbrush.  if that doesn't work, i will usually just leave it. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

MEGA-BITE

Thanks Alan. As always you are a great resource for fishing reel maintenance.

coastalobsession

Coastal Obsession Deckhand and reel cleaning

Jimmer

coastal x 2 -clean the grease off and dunk in clr - it seems to take all the corrosion off almost anything. I had all the posts from an ancient 6/0 senator with a snapped off screw in each end. forgot them in clr for 3 days and was able to unscrew the remainder of the screws with my finger tips. this stuff woks but may take a little time. Don't know if it would harm or discolor aluminum or bakelite.
What - me worry?   A.E.Neumann

broadway

Distilled vinegar gets rid of green within one hour... no matter how much green you have. Hasn't harmed a thing that I have dunked in it, but I've never dunk side plates just in case it warps them.  Works unbelievable on any metal!
Good luck,
Dom

Alto Mare

I'm with you Dom, that distilled vinegar does a great job and I'm sure that it isn't bad for you. I think that Dominick drinks something similar to it ;D , he looks pretty healthy to me. I gave that clr a try, when I opened the container my skin started to itch, I quickly got rid of it, along with that BP blaster that almost got you out of your apartment in the past....that stuff is nasty.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

broadway

Sal,
         I think Dominick may drink the pb blaster on the rocks... he probably grew a tolerance to the distilled vinegar  ;D Keep it up Dominick it's working for ya!  ;)
I'm pretty sure CLR has an acid it in like the stuff I clean my non skid with on the boat (meguiars deck cleaner)... wicked stuff!
Dom

Dominick

;D CLR shooters.  The way to go. ;D
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

alantani

well, i can tell you for sure that a dishwasher will not work!   ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

MEGA-BITE

CLR wins hands down. Soaked for a couple hours and came out clean as a whistle. Thanks everyone.

broadway

Mega,
   Glad it worked for ya... give distilled vinegar a shot sometime, then add oil to the bearings, get some romaine, and enjoy!  ;D

PS- if you tried distilled vinegar and the "green crud" didn't come off that would be a first.
Dom

Killerbug

White corrosion like this, I remove by rubbing it off with a piece of steel wool. It can be done in less than a minute.
http://forum.esoxhunt.dk
-----------------------------
They say Catch and Release fishing is a lot like golf.
You don't have to eat the ball to have a good time

broadway

Hey KB,

That looks like some serious salt deposits... dilute Salt Away in a container, disassemble reel, drop in everything, and watch your salt disappear before your eyes!
Does steel wool scratch the reel?
Dom

Jimmer

I would wash very thoroughly with soapy water and a clean water rinse when using steel wool, it can leave behind almost microscopic steel particles which will accelerate corrosion and be attracted to any magnetized parts (like bearings if you pull them with a magnet). I think a scotch brite or simiiar material abrasive pad might be a better choice. - Jimmer
What - me worry?   A.E.Neumann