How to replace left plate spool bearing ABU Garcia 6500 C3?

Started by B Austin, January 23, 2012, 04:32:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

B Austin

I would like to replace the bearing (pn 13472) without purchasing whole plate including bearing. Can it be done, and if so how? Also how to best remove bearings that are more difficult to remove than with a "bent paper clip"?

alantani

the trick is to hammer out a tool that is the shape of an "L" and grind it down so that the bottom lip and catch the inside race of the bearing.  that is often the only way.  paper cllips won't work.  you need something with more beef. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Ken_D

Hi. I assume this an older side plate with the ball bearing in the pocket, with a sold axle spool. They can be tricky, but pretty easy to remove, with a bit of directional force. Try this. It works. Every time.

Locate a piece of scrap board, like the cutting board when your significant other is not watching. Grasp sideplate like you were going to throw a ball. Meaning cupped in your hand so can THWACK the plate hard and even, so the entire 360° of the wall hits the board all at once.

Don't be timid, come down hard, from about 8-10" up, no higher. The bearing will either come out now, or after another thwack.  As long as you make sure all the surface hits at once, there will no damage. Easy-peasy lemon-squeezy.

alantani

Ken_D

Too funny, Alan !! Actually, I use 1/2" plywood, about 10" square.  But any piece of wood is fine, like a small bit of 2 x 4, etc.

B Austin

Thanks for responses. The pro repair guy said that I had to replace the complete plate. I sure hope that I have given the correct model as the decal has be obliterated. It seems there is no c clip to hold the gears in place. I seems to have been branded on. Story to be such a amateur.

alantani

Ken_D

Quote from: B Austin on February 13, 2012, 02:24:54 AM
Thanks for responses. The pro repair guy said that I had to replace the complete plate. I sure hope that I have given the correct model as the decal has be obliterated. It seems there is no c clip to hold the gears in place. I seems to have been branded on. Story to be such a amateur.

Wow. If you are talking about a regular older 6500, and you were told to replace a sideplate, guess what: there will _be_ no bearing ~in~ the side plate ! The idler gear of which you speak is easy to remove as well. There are two approaches: carve off the dimple with a click-click type olfa blade,  and use an e-clip to re-install, or pop off the gear without damaging anything.  If your contributors (in this thread) are correct as regards the plate, your reel repair guy stands to be corrected.

There are a couple of posts on idler gear removal, but the easiest way is a piece of 40# mono, or 65# braid, looped making a loop about a foot, placed equal and opposite under the idler gear, and extracted sharply, not a steady pull, but a jerk.  More than one sport has pulled the post off the plate, with the gear still attached. Hence going the circlip route.

Persuant to Alan's pic request, could you also flip the reel over, and post the first 4 numbers on the frame foot. Hopefully nobody's changed out the frame over time.

Image attached is a present day Abu plate, with no bearing pocket, ~but~ the dimpled idler gear.

If using the suggested techniques, the cog doesnt come off, but the post its set on becomes loose, thus wiggles, can it be repaired or must the entire side plate be replaced?

Keta

Story to be such a amateur.

Everyone here was an "amateur" at one time and there is no need to apologize.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Ken_D

Quote from: 0119 on February 13, 2012, 03:11:19 PM
If using the suggested techniques, the cog doesnt come off, but the post its set on becomes loose, thus wiggles, can it be repaired or must the entire side plate be replaced?

Does this mean you've already loosened the post?  By not cutting off the dimple? It's an "iffy" repair, but it can be done. One way is using "crazy glue" flooded into the cavity behind the Abu emblem, (underneath the post) then letting it dry.

Crazy glue because it's very thin, and will get underneath.  This only works if the side plate has not been distorted, so that the post goes back still square to the world.    Depending on which side plate it is, replacement cost can be anywhere from about 10.00 on up to 20 something. Providing of course, it's still a valid number, and not one of those no longer available plates.

Ive got a 5500 that has a loose feeling cog. I found it when I was searching for the source of an odd noise it makes while casting.

Ken_D

Quote from: Keta on February 13, 2012, 04:23:51 PM

Ya. Usually, when a rodster posts a solution, it's because said sport has prolly had a crash and burn !!  Humans learn 2 ways: what they got wrong they got right, and what they got right they got better.

Ken_D

Quote from: 0119 on February 13, 2012, 06:25:39 PM
Ive got a 5500 that has a loose feeling cog. I found it when I was searching for the source of an odd noise it makes while casting.

One of the downsides to the dimpled idler gear is: it's really hard to get lube past the dimple. It's very snug. Another reason to remove it, and go back to the 99 cent Abu eclip that I get for 17 cents (in bags of 18) at the napa store.
When e-clipped, it's a snap to get oil past it, to the post.

The post may have run dry, causing the reel to 'squeal like a pig' when casting. Kinda like fingernails on the old slate chalkboard.

Keta

Quote from: Ken_D on February 13, 2012, 06:29:52 PM
Quote from: Keta on February 13, 2012, 04:23:51 PM

Ya. Usually, when a rodster posts a solution, it's because said sport has prolly had a crash and burn !!  Humans learn 2 ways: what they got wrong they got right, and what they got right they got better.

Yup, All of us have made mistakes and I'm sure there are more to come.  I still occasionally launch Trinidad star clicker detents to never never land.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain