Still trying for 50"

Started by Lunker Larry, October 28, 2021, 08:35:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lunker Larry

Just tucked the boat away for the winter but will still be fishing until the weather says we can't. The goal each year is for at least 1 50 inch muskie. Been close with 2 49.5s and a 49 3/4.
This is the latest 49 1/2.
You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.
Do vegans feel the same when mowing the lawn?

Hardy Boy

Wow that is a great fish! Good luck with the last fraction of an inch..

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

PacRat

Nice fish! I've heard muskies are addicting. I've only fished them a couple of times but they do get under your skin. What did you catch it on?

Sharkb8

Wow great fish good luck with your goal

Kim

Lunker Larry

Quote from: PacRat on October 28, 2021, 08:49:27 PM
Nice fish! I've heard muskies are addicting. I've only fished them a couple of times but they do get under your skin. What did you catch it on?
Large 6 Oz spinner bait
You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.

steelfish

Thats a nice fish Larry, good luck on your quest

Btw what gear did you used?
The Baja Guy

Midway Tommy

Well done Larry! Where do you chase them?
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

oc1

Yeah man.  You have a knack for it.

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

nelz

Quote from: Lunker Larry on October 28, 2021, 08:35:47 PMBeen close with 2 49.5s and a 49 3/4.

Larry, the expression on your face is priceless  ;D  49 3/4 eh??? Come on man, that's a 50!  Congrats.

Lunker Larry

Quote from: nelz on October 29, 2021, 02:54:30 PM
Quote from: Lunker Larry on October 28, 2021, 08:35:47 PMBeen close with 2 49.5s and a 49 3/4.

Larry, the expression on your face is priceless  ;D  49 3/4 eh??? Come on man, that's a 50!  Congrats.

Can't fool the bump board. LOL

Ref gear.  keep things simple and within budget. I use a 8 foot St Croix Premier rod with a Okuma CV30d. Minimum 80 lb test, 250 lb leader. and clips The heavier gear allows you to land the fish faster. They stress out pretty easy, build up lactic acid and potassium which can give them a heart attack. They may swim away but will belly up later. A quick release, little time out of the water and having all the right release tools like a huge net where you can keep the fish in the water while getting things ready helps. They may not fight long like salt water fish but the big ones can really haul a boat around and quickly straighten out a hook or split ring if it is not heavy enough. Usually the more stressed out the fish is the redder the fins are.
Also muskie baits can get pretty steep. Don't want to loose a $100 body bait.

Hardy Boy

Larry we should confuse the US gang and use centimeters ..................... then you would have a monster ...................... 127 !!!

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

nelz

So Larry, being that you use a Okuma CV30d I'm guessing that's for trolling not casting?

PS: $100 lure? Holy cow!

Lunker Larry

Correct. It's my primary trolling reel. It's bullet proof and  I like it way better than Tekotas. Larger and easier to retrieve and a loud clicker. For casting I have a Shimano 400D, Curado 300 and Okuma SS 346 that I use primarily. But at 69 I'm more of a troller now. Can't cast all day like when I was young. Big baits are too hard on the body.  Many muskie pros like Jim Saric of musky hunter, have all had shoulder surgery.

There are a lot of commercial muskie baits out there for under $50 but the custom bait makers have pretty much taken over the market. They build fantastic baits that are a work of art and run perfectly. They can be $100 and more. I've got a tackle box made out of down spout and a milk carton. Just that one probably holds a grand in baits. I'll take a few pics later and follow up on this post.