Back in Honolulu, March 17 - 25, 2012.

Started by Bryan Young, January 24, 2012, 06:54:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryan Young

Aloha guys,

I'll be back in Honolulu from March 17 - 25 again to assist in the FIRST Robotics Competition on March 22-24.  Will have a few days free.  Hope to meet some of you that I didn't have an opportunity before.

Hope to hook up with

Kamu - ReelMan of Oahu
Lois - Reel Tech and Store Guru at 5 Oceans, 7 Seas
Alan Suan and Dean Sensui - Ewalu Kai and Hawaii Goes Fishing
Allan Sato - Gaji Lures
Gary Yamamoto - Gary Yamamoto Lures
Brock Fee - Machinest

On 17th and 18th, will probably be in Aiea taking care of my father and 99 year old grandmother ;D 'cause my mom will be in Vegas (hopefully bringing back a gift bag of money for her childeren), but will have time in-between.  Also available nights for dinner.  Hope to see and meet with you and even go through a reel or two with you if need be.

BTW, I'll probably will be bringing HT-100 drag washers and bearing (and calipers) as I may have a few reels to work on for my brother.

PM me with your contact info and I'll call you when I get in.

Aloha,
Bryan

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

kamuwela

ill be here bryan, i think alan sato is closer to you now.

Bryan Young

Kamu, I'll give you a call. 

Yup, Allan is back in Aiea.  He just moved back from Idaho.  I have on order 4 or 6 9" lures.  It's a combination of the following lures.  The fish with black top and he will try to get the red smoke effect from the gills of the fish.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Norcal Pescador

Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Bryan Young

I wish you could make it too Alan.  My schedule is so hectic, I don't know if I'm coming or going.

Bryan Young

I would love to meet some of the new Hawaiians that have joined. I'll be in Aiea Saturday and Sunday, then in town for the remining of the week.

So far, bringing drag washers, drag grease and a few other things.  If you are free to hook-up, that would be great.  If you want to do a reel breakdown while I'm there, I'll gladly be there to support you guys on the rebuild.  Let me know.

Makule

Any time you'd be over to the Big Island?
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

Bryan Young

Makule, I wish.  I have relatives in Honoka'a that I have never met and would like to meet my cousins some day.

Makule

Quote from: Bryan Young on February 27, 2012, 08:36:32 AM
Makule, I wish.  I have relatives in Honoka'a that I have never met and would like to meet my cousins some day.

If you could fly in for the day, I could pick you up and take you to Honokaa, Tokunaga, J. Hara, etc.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

Bryan Young

Well, it's been one day, and I am wiped out.  6 hour difference from North Carolina to Hawaii.  Hate this jetlag.

Will be at 5 Oceans, 7 Seas tomorrow afternoon (monday) for those who wants to show up.  If you cannot make it then, pm me and maybe we can hook up for lunch or dinner.

Bryan

kamuwela

sorry bryan missed your call meet you there

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Dominick

Hey all you Hawaii guys, I posted this elsewhere and got no response.  It was on the tag end of a welcome, so it was probably missed.  I am curious about the answer and since Bryan is back in Nirvana he can do some research. 
Quote from: Pescachaser on March 18, 2012, 06:24:00 PM
Frank:  Cool wall hanging.  Maybe our Hawaiian friends on this sight will weigh in on this post.  If you ever see abalone style calamari on a menu it is the Humboldt squid that has been tenderized.  When cooked quickly with light flour and egg batter it is a delicious tasting dish.  Years ago on a trip to Hawaii I remarked that it looked like every back yard in Hawaii had one of those old fashion clothes washers with the wringer across the top.  I was told that that was used exclusively for agitating octopuss and squid to tenderize them.  It seems that the agitation for a period of time got the fibrous flesh to loosen and get tender.  Hawaiians know their stuff when it comes to fish.  Bryan, Makule, Kamuela what do you know about this?  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

rodent

Hi there Dominick, there are still people who use the old washer to help clean and tenderize the octopus (tako) is what they are called here.  As you lomi lomi (message) the tako it gets relaxed and more tender when prepared, boiled, dried (sun dried then slow roasted or placed over the barbeque) or raw (poke).  Using an old washer are usually reserved for the commercial people or those that consistently catch a lot to make it worth their while.  For the average person the process is to remove the innards sprinkle a little salt (helps remove the slime) and massage the tako till the legs curl up when you lift it up.  I find that freezing it for a few weeks, if you can wait that long helps the tenderization process.